--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of mainstream20016
> Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:18 PM
> To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Jefferson County Supervisors
>

> > Had there been a joint town/gown campaign to fund an endowment
> > for perpetual maintenance of the Barhydt Chapel, instead of the
> > abrupt MUM announcement of the chapel's pending fate at the
> > hands of a wrecking crew, relations would have been improved.
>
> MUM claimed expensive upkeep of the chapel as the reason for
> razing it, but it was really all about the fact that it wasn't
> MSV, and MMY was strongly encouraging the demolition of all such
> buildings.

MSV was definitely a huge reason for tearing it down, however, the
structural issues were very real. They spent a hundred-some-odd
thousand dollars fixing the roof and repairing water damage, but it
started leaking again because the building was shifting on its
foundation. It was going to take a half-million dollars to fix the
foundation. That's a lot of money to spend on a university building
that served little purpose for the university.

Having had to do group meditation in the chapel while an MIU student,
I have less than fond memories of it. To me, it was a cold, drafty,
uncomfortable, mildew-infested shithole, and I'm not the least bit
bothered that it was torn down.