http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/14/science/14prof.html?ref=science He
Counts Your Words (Even Those Pronouns)  By JESSICA WAPNERPublished:
October 13, 2008

 James W. Pennebaker's interest in word counting began more than 20
years ago, when he did several studies suggesting that people who
talked about traumatic experiences tended to be physically healthier
than those who kept such experiences secret. He wondered how much
could be learned by looking at every single word people used — even
the tiny ones, the I's and you's, a's and the's.Skip to next
paragraphEnlarge This Imagewordwatchers.wordpress.com Dr.
Pennebaker's analysis shows the categories of words used more often
by each side.  That led Dr. Pennebaker, a professor of psychology at
the University of Texas, down a winding path that has taken him from
Beatles lyrics (John Lennon's songs have more "negative emotion"
words than Paul McCartney's) all the way to terrorist communications.
By counting the different kinds of words a person says, he is
breaking new linguistic ground and leading a resurgent interest in
text analysis. Take Dr. Pennebaker's recent study of Al Qaeda
communications — videotapes, interviews, letters. At the request of
the F.B.I., he tallied the number of words in various categories —
pronouns, articles and adjectives, among others. He found, for
example, that Osama bin Laden's use of first-person pronouns (I, me,
my, mine) remained fairly constant over several years. By contrast,
his second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahri, used such words more and
more often. "This dramatic increase suggests greater insecurity,
feelings of threat, and perhaps a shift in his relationship with bin
Laden," Dr. Pennebaker wrote in his report , which was published in
The Content Analysis Reader (Sage Publications, July 2008). Kimberly
A. Neuendorf, a professor of communications at Cleveland State
University who has extensively studied content analysis, agreed with
that assessment. Mr. Zawahri, she said, "is clearly repositioning
himself to provide a singular platform for his opinion"
and "reaffirming his status as an important individual in the
dynamic." Because it is hard for the human brain to count and compare
all the I's, a's and the's in a sample of speech or writing, Dr.
Pennebaker had to invent a software program to do it. The program,
Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count (LIWC, pronounced luke), contains a
vast dictionary, with each word assigned to one or more categories.
There are social words (talk, they), biological words (cheek, hands,
spit), "insight" words (think, know, consider) and dozens of other
groupings. LIWC compares a text sample to its dictionary and, within
seconds, provides a readout of how many words appear in each
category. To test-drive the program, Dr. Pennebaker, a pioneer in the
field of therapeutic writing, asked a group of people recovering from
serious illness or other trauma to engage in a series of writing
exercises. The word tallies showed that those whose health was
improving tended to decrease their use of first-person pronouns
through the course of the study. Health improvements were also seen
among people whose use of causal words — because, cause, effect —
increased. Simply ruminating about an experience without trying to
understand the causes is less likely to lead to psychological growth,
he explained; the subjects who used causal words "were changing the
way they were thinking about things." Dr. Pennebaker, 58, has
conducted numerous studies since then, all of them demonstrating that
it's not just what we say that matters but how we say it. Where
traditional linguistics "is really more interested in context, how
sentences are put together and what a meaningful phrase is," he
said, "our approach is simply counting words." In study after study,
the articles and pronouns, which text analysts often call "junk
words," have proved crucial. For example, Dr. Pennebaker has found
that men tend to use more articles (a, the) and women tend to use
more pronouns (he, she, they). The difference, he says, may suggest
that men are more prone to concrete thinking and women are more
likely to see things from other perspectives. Jeffrey T. Hancock, an
associate professor of communication at Cornell, uses word counting
to study language and deception, particularly on the Internet. Liars,
he says, use more "negative emotion" words (hurt, ugly, nasty) and
fewer first-person singulars. "These very simple dimensions have
emerged again and again," he said, "despite the fact that there were
40 years of research before this." Dr. Pennebaker says that because
speech patterns are akin to a personal signature, his software might
be used to identify authors of anonymous blogs and e-mail messages,
and as supporting evidence in legal testimony. But he acknowledges
that it cannot be definitive; too much depends on probability. "In
the language world, everything is probability," Dr. Pennebaker
said. "But in our legal system, we have real problems with
understanding probability. Everyone has problems with probability."
Still, the technique is drawing attention from a variety of sectors.
Dr. Pennebaker has received a grant from the Army Research Institute
to study the language of social dynamics, particularly how leaders
use language. Joseph Psotka, a research psychologist at the
institute, said that over time, this kind of study "could be very
helpful for training and leadership development, but precisely how we
don't know yet." Dr. Pennebaker's program has been translated into
several languages, with an Arabic version in the works; Dr.
Pennebaker notes that his Qaeda analysis was constrained by its
reliance on English translations. "Function words vary between one
language and another and reveal a lot about another culture," he
said. Dr. Psotka said counting and categorizing the words used by a
foreign speaker could provide clues about "the subtle attitudes, not
just the meaning of the words — to get a sense of whether or not
negotiation or discussion is going smoothly." Dr. Pennebaker has also
turned his word-counting machinery toward the presidential campaign
(at wordwatchers.wordpress.com), and he likes to look at age-old
questions like whether Shakespeare had a co-playwright, who wrote the
Federalist Papers and even whether a couple will stay together. "The
more similar they are in terms of language," Dr. Pennebaker
said, "the more likely they are to be together several months
later."