I would vote early if I lived in a metropolitan
area. I'd be more confident my vote would be
counted. But here in the sticks, I love going
to our little 19-century meetinghouse, seeing
all the familiar people, completing my paper
ballot in pencil, and dropping it in the ballot
box under the watchful eye of our town moderator.
Then I buy some baked goods being sold to raise
funds for our local artillery company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Artillery_Company

It's a real Jimmy-Stewart-in-New-England experience
that I dearly love.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I vote "Yes" to early voting!
>
> I voted on Friday.  I had vacillated for some time over this
decision, and
> admit to feeling a bit worried when I went in.  However, the process
left me
> feeling reassured, and glad to have "banked my vote."
>
> When filling out the affidavit envelope, I was unsure about what to
put down
> for "middle name" - "Jo" or "J." or just leave blank, since I
sometimes do
> one or the other of these.  And of course, we've all heard of states who
> will throw out your ballot if the way you sign in to vote differs
from your
> DMV signature, etc.
>
> So I asked Cindy McCan (former children's librarian at FF Public
Library),
> who was running the election operation in the Courthouse lobby.  She
> explained that she would use the last name, birth date, and ID no. (your
> choice of drivers' license or last 4 digits of SSN) to check for a
match on
> her computer, and if there were any problem she would tell me.
Otherwise, I
> could rest easy my ballot had been accepted and would not be challenged.
> This is definitely better than mailing in a ballot, in case you
should make
> a mistake in how you fill out or package the 3 envelopes (inner
"secrecy"
> envelope goes inside affidavit envelope, which then goes inside the
outer
> postal service envelope).
>
> All early vote ballots are treated as absentee ballots and will be
opened
> and counted on Nov. 4.  I observed the Jefferson County Absentee Ballot
> committee at work in 2006, and was very impressed with their
diligence and
> efficiency.  Susan Rubis, Rebecca Reynolds, and 3 Republican senior
citizens
> were on the committee.
>
> Another advantage to early voting is that once you have voted, that
fact is
> recorded in the VAN (voter action network) made available to the
campaigns.
> SO they will stop calling you as part of their GOTV effort.
>
> Perhaps best, once you've voted, you are free to spend all of
Election Day