> On Oct 31, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Richard J. Williams wrote:
>
> > Vaj wrote:
> >> Five Shaiva saints called Arrivars had compiled
> >> the pieces of the pre-Vedic teachings in 28
> >> volumes.
> >

> The Chandogya Upanishad is one of the "primary" (mukhya) Upanishads.
> Together with the Jaiminiya Upanishad Brahmana and the Brihadaranyaka
> Upanishad it ranks among the oldest Upanishads, dating to the Vedic
> Brahmana period (probably before mid-first millennium BCE).
>
> Most of what is known as Hinduism descends not from the Veda, but from
> the Agamas. Even the Vaishnavite classic, the Bhagavad-gita, is
> largely plagiarized directly from the Agamas!

I wonder what u mean by aagama. In YS, aagama is one of the
three pramaaNa-s:

pratyakSaanumaanaagamaaH (pratyakSa-anumaana+aagamaaH*) pramaaNaani

*aagamaaH is the nominative *plural* of aagama(H), because
here it's the last component of a dvandva-compound of more
than two components (in which case it would be in nominative
*dual...)

Agama   mf(%{A})n. coming near , approaching AV. vi , 81 , 2 ; xix , 35
, 3 ; m. (ifc. f. %{A}) arrival , coming , approach R. &c. ; origin
Mn. viii , 401 R. &c. ; appearance or reappearance MBh. ii , 547 ;
course (of a fluid) , issue (e.g. of blood) Mn. viii , 252 Sus3r. ;
income , lawful acquisition (of property , %{artha} , %{dhana} ,
%{vitta} , %{draviNa}) Mn. MBh. &c. ; reading , studying Pat. ;
acquisition of knowledge , science MBh. Ya1jn5. &c. ; a traditional
doctrine or precept , collection of such doctrines , sacred work ,
Bra1hmana Mn. xii , 105 MBh. &c. ; anything handed down and fixed by
tradition (as the reading of a text or a record , title-deed , &c.) ;
addition Nir. i , 4 ; a grammatical augment , a meaningless syllable
or letter inserted in any part of the radical word Pra1t. Pa1n2. Comm.
; N. of a rhetorical figure ; (%{am}) n. a Tantra or work inculcating
the mystical worship of S3iva and S3akti.