"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty"

Joss Whedon's "Firefly" and "Serenity" as a Metaphor
for the Last Eight Years of the Bush Nightmare

A critical server at the company I work for is down
for maintenance this day after the US Presidential
election, and thus I don't have to work. So I thought
I'd relax a little by rewatching my favorite science
fiction series of all time, "Firefly," and its feature-
length sequel, "Serenity."

And less than two minutes into the first episode, I
heard the words in the Subject line, and burst into
very uncharacteristic tears. They are spoken by Malcolm
'Mal' Reynolds to what remains of his troop of rebel
soldiers as they hold out against seemingly impossible
odds in the battle of Serenity Valley. A few minutes
later, these words -- and Mal's life -- are shattered
and rendered tragic as he receives word that his side
in this war has surrendered and betrayed them. They
are to "lay down arms," and concede. The look on Mal's
face as he realizes the extent of the betrayal and
cowardice that has shattered his dreams is
heartbreaking.

I know that look. I saw it in the mirror, eight years
ago, as I woke up on another day after the US Presi-
dential election and found that my country, too, had
betrayed me.

And I reacted as Mal did. He became an outlaw, renounced
his home, and found a new one in a beat-to-shit but
lovable spaceship named Serenity, in which he and a
band of equally-devastated comrades cruised the edges
of the 'verse and did their best to keep on keepin' on
in a universe made inhospitable by the evil Alliance
that had taken over.

I left the United States and became an outlaw of another
kind, living sometimes legally, sometimes illegally as
an ex-pat in Europe. And, like Mal, I did my best to
keep on keepin' on, also in a 'verse made inhospitable
by the evil forces that had taken over my homeland.

I found my own versions of the good ship Serenity. The
first was an apartment in the 7th arrondissement in
Paris, from which I could look out and see the Eiffel
Tower and marvel at its beauty while trying my best to
not get bummed by the news coming from my country of
birth, and what it was doing to rape and pillage the
planet, and its own people. After a few years I found
a new version of Serenity in a medieval village in the
south of France, and kept on keepin' on there. A little
over a year ago, I found a new version of Serenity here,
a block from the beach in a Spanish tourist town. Like
Mal, I had my trusty sidekick, who has traveled with me,
and I have found other friends and fellow outlaws along
the Way. All three space ships have been very comfy,
thank you, and have provided me with a fine base of
operations from which to keep on keepin' on.

Like Mal and his crew, I took work where I could find
it, and have managed to prove the truth of the old
saying "Living well is the best revenge." I have been
back to America only twice in the last eight years, and
felt as out of place when I was there as Captain
Tightpants would have felt on the Alliance's home
planet. And like the crew of Whedon's Serenity, I
have faced challenges and dangers, and have tried to
deal with them using the most effective weapons at my
disposal, flexibility and a sense of humor. Both have
served me well.

But, like Mal and his crew, I had almost lost hope in
my homeland, and in its ability to throw off the shackles
it had fastened to its own ankles by allowing the
Presidency to be stolen by tyrants, twice. I had resigned
myself, in fact, to never going back again, even for a
visit, and spending the rest of my life flitting from
place to place in my version of Serenity.

This morning changes all that, just as the end of the
film "Serenity" changed Mal's universe and the possi-
bilities open to him and his crew. At the end of that
film, the Alliance's tyranny has been exposed, and the
evil Alliance is in the process of imploding. Mal can
finally let his bitterness drop and wax eloquent to
young, psychic River Tam about the thing that has kept
Serenity flying all these years, and will in the future,
even though there will still be shitstorms to fly through
before the hard times are over.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain't all buttons
and charts, little albatross. You know what the
first rule of flyin' is? Well I suppose you do,
since you already know what I'm about to say.

River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can know all
the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the
air you don't love, she'll shake you off just
as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her
in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya
she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home.

River Tam: Storm's getting worse.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: We'll pass through it
soon enough.

Amen. This morning I feel the same way. I carry my real
home with me, wherever my ex-pat, outlaw life may take me.
And love is the thing that makes it home. But now I have
the option of being able to consider my original homeland
a port of call along the Way, without feeling that I am
collaborating with the enemy by doing so.

Joss Whedon didn't end "Serenity" with Mal's speech above,
although he could have. He chose to end it with a joke,
the same one that opened the film. We don't know what will
happen to Mal and his crew after his final line, because
the series ended far too soon. Similarly, I don't know what
will happen to me as I continue my travels. But suspect
it'll work out, because after all these years as an outlaw,
I have retained the ability to laugh -- in the darkest
moments, and as dawn seems to be breaking again.

What I learned from the last eight years is the same thing
I learned from "Firefly" and "Serenity." No matter how dark
things seem, if you retain your ability to laugh you can
still react to whatever comes your way by saying, "Shiny."