--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:

> Maybe the office itself will change him; maybe the faith
> the voters have invested in him will compel him to rise
> above his own limitations. His restrained, solemn, almost
> withdrawn demeanor during his victory speech suggested to
> me that he was coming to grips with what had just happened
> in a new way and beginning to feel the full extent of the
> awsome, terrifying responsibility that has settled on his
> shoulders.

His demeanor seemed in keeping with his
personality, and with his desire not to
alienate the other side, as well as the
awesome task ahead. But your remarks makes
me think of a teaching by an MIU classmate
whose latest book is called "Extreme Leadership."

Steve Farber worked with Tom Peters before
opening his own management consultancy and
public speaking practice. His latest book
has a secton on the importance of the "OS!M,"
which is the moment when you realize that
you've undertaken something so awesome and
extreme that you can hardly believe what
you've done. Steve gives the example of
tobogganing or luging down a steep, icy
slope. You slip over the crest and start
your descent, and at that moment, you think,
"Oh shit!" That's the Oh Shit! Moment, or
OS!M for short.

Steve's point is that extreme leadership
demands these OS!Ms. He writes about them here:

http://www.stevefarber.com/read/#pursue

That expression on Obama's face last night -
that acceptance speech that George
Stephanopoulos said was the most subdued
he'd ever seen - may have been influenced
by his own OS!M.

> I've never wished anybody well so hard in my life.

I know what you mean.