I heard the documentary's director interviewed on the radio last
weekend. Here are the blurb, URL and transcript:

"The Dirty South

"Lee Atwater became one of the most complicated and successful
Republican political operatives in history by employing a triple
threat; spin when you can, change the subject when you can't and if
all else fails – mine the voters' resentment, and fear, usually of
blacks. Stefan Forbes, director of Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story,
explains the dark legacy of Atwater's Southern strategy."

http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2008/11/07/07

BOB GARFIELD: This is On the Media. I'm Bob Garfield.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: And I'm Brooke Gladstone. In the history of U.S.
politics, it's hard to find a more complicated and influential
powerbroker than Lee Atwater. A son of South Carolina, he played blues
guitar – and politics – from an early age and rose to become the
wunderkind campaign strategist for such notables as Strom Thurmond,
Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush, who eventually made
Atwater head of the Republican National Committee.

His formula was simple – spin when you can, change the subject when
you can't, and if all else fails, mine the voters' resentment and
fear, especially of black people.

Stefan Forbes is the director of a new documentary, Boogie Man: The
Lee Atwater Story. He says Atwater played brilliantly on the
smoldering rage of many Southern whites towards the secular, the elite
and the intellectual, people who looked down on them.

Atwater played that tune so well, he even made it work for the WASPY,
wealthy, Northern George Herbert Walker Bush.

STEFAN FORBES: And he realized that they could take the party of the
rich, of corporations, and turn it into the party of the working man.
And he did it brilliantly, by putting Bush Sr. into a cowboy hat, into
cowboy boots with a big Texas flag on the side and having him eat pork
rinds. He singlehandedly pretty much [LAUGHS] created the Bush
dynasty, was a mentor to Karl Rove and taught W. how to campaign. Even
from his grave he's been winning elections for the Republican Party.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: He singlehandedly created George Herbert Walker
Bush. How did he get to him, to begin with?

STEFAN FORBES: It's an amazing story. Back in 1972, they have an
obscure guy [LAUGHS] running for chairman of the College Republicans
from Utah. His name's Karl Rove. Atwater's his campaign manager, and
they lose.

But Atwater won't accept defeat. They start throwing out ballots,
challenging people's right to vote. It gets thrown all the way up the
chain to the chairman of the Republican Party, George H. W. Bush, who
sees these two hard-knuckled young operatives and gives them the election.

And right there, Karl Rove learns from Lee Atwater how to win an election.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: And Rove worked with Atwater on Vice-President
Bush's 1988 campaign against Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis.
At that point, Bush was knee deep in the Iran Contra scandal. He was
lagging in the polls. And then Atwater changed the subject with two
political ads. The first targeted a Massachusetts prison furlough
program, by highlighting a black convict that we all still remember,
named Willie Horton.

STEFAN FORBES: It's incredible. Back in '88, in that campaign, Ronald
Reagan has literally sold arms to terrorists and lied about it on
national TV. Atwater was able to change the subject. He found a fairly
irrelevant convict that was out on parole, Willie Horton, and made him
the focus of that entire campaign. And his own party laughed at him.

[CLIP]:

ANNOUNCER: His revolving-door prison policy gave weekend furloughs to
first degree murderers not eligible for parole. While out, many
committed other crimes, like kidnapping and rape.

[END CLIP]

STEFAN FORBES: Atwater was able to change the subject because he
realized that the media is often like a school of fish. They're so
anxious to chase the story and the prevailing narrative, that an
operative like Atwater is able to use them as an echo chamber. You put
something out there that's sticky, you know, the face of this scowling
killer, and it can really swamp the whole dialogue on television.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: So that first ad peddled fear. The second notorious
ad of that campaign also relied on imagery, some frankly silly footage
of Dukakis riding in a tank, to peddle a lie.

[CLIP]:

[SOUNDS OF TANK AND AIRCRAFT IN BACKGROUND]

ANNOUNCER: Michael Dukakis has opposed virtually every defense system
we developed. He opposed new aircraft carriers. He opposed
anti-satellite weapons. He opposed four missile systems, including the
Pershing II missile deployment. Dukakis opposed the Stealth Bomber and
a ground emergency warning system -

[END CLIP]

STEFAN FORBES: Perception is reality. He was a governor. He hadn't
voted on any of those weapon systems. But Atwater realized you find a
powerful, sticky image that the media can't resist, of this guy
looking goofy in a tank helmet, and that will dwarf the rest of the
conversation.

It was so convincing that even someone like Sam Donaldson, in looking
back on it in the film, says, gee, I wonder if we really vetted all
those claims? I'm not sure we did.

Again, you hide in plain sight. You tell a lie that's so powerful that
people can't quite understand that the whole basis on which it's being
discussed isn't true.

When George Bush, Sr. appointed Lee Atwater head of the Republican
National Committee, he was, in effect, taking these campaign tactics
and putting them in charge of the Party at the highest level. Then,
when Atwater's acolyte, Karl Rove, won successfully in 2000, he took
those same tactics into the White House and used them as a basis for
governing. So it's been fascinating to trace the Atwater playbook
through these different administrations.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Atwater just plain lied.

STEFAN FORBES: Well, what I see is that Atwater's vision of politics
is pro wrestling, because they didn't pretend to be anything other
than fake. You know, that kind of cynicism really infected a whole
generation of political reporters in Washington and a generation of
political operatives.

Atwater was able to sort of pull back the curtain on politics, to say,
hey, let me show you how we do our polling, and look at this
horserace, isn't it great? He kind of divested them of the moral
imperative to talk [LAUGHS] about the truth. And you saw that come
back with incredible power in the '04 campaign when these Swift Boat
ads came out, and for about three weeks the media really did not vet
those charges.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: In 1991, he was 40 years old. He had been made head
of the Republican National Committee, and Atwater developed a brain
tumor. And then he was portrayed in the media as having a real period
of actual repentance. He was sorry for what he did before he died. Was
that true?

STEFAN FORBES: I was, again, incredibly surprised to find out that the
truth was much more complicated than it had been reported. Friends of
Atwater told me he never even repented for negative campaigning. The
fact is, though, as Tucker Eskew, senior advisor to the McCain/Palin
campaign says, the fear tactics that he had used on America came back
on him. He would lie awake at night desperately afraid that he was
going to hell. He apologized to a couple of people. They say he
actually sent a telegram to Willie Horton apologizing for what he'd
done, but he didn't send anything to Mike Dukakis, as was reported in
Life Magazine.

He still doesn't apologize for making the Republican Party a Southern
party, for

putting the right wing evangelicals, whom he privately mocked as
freaks, as guys with hands growing out of their heads, for putting
them in firm control of Republican politics. He didn't repent for any
of that.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: So having just completed this film and released it,
as the Obama campaign drew to a close, what were you left with?

STEFAN FORBES: It's fascinating to watch how the Atwater playbook has
basically created a civil war in the Republican Party. When Atwater
made the Republicans a Southern-based party, he put the right wing
preachers in power, these evangelical conservatives who threatened to
walk out of the convention if John McCain was allowed to choose a Tom
Ridge or a Joe Lieberman. Their candidate was Sarah Palin.

And now that she has imploded so spectacularly, the whole intellectual
wing of the Republican Party has peeled off. Guys like George Will and
David Brooks don't see that as the future of Republican politics.

On the other side, these incredibly powerful people who believe in a
faith-based version of politics, that reality doesn't matter, they
will be fighting over the 2012 nominee, and it's going to be really
interesting to watch to see how this plays out over the next couple of
years.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: So why did you make this film? Is it just a
cautionary tale, or is it a kind of Shakespeare tragedy?

STEFAN FORBES: I didn't set out to make a movie to hold Atwater
accountable and let the rest of us off the hook. I mean, the fact that
a guy who pals around with James Brown and B.B. King runs the most
racist presidential campaign in 150 years, that reflects America's
hypocrisy about race.

Atwater does all these things and then gets down on his knees and
somehow seeks redemption at the end of his life. That's our country
all over again. We like to sin on Saturday night and get down on our
knees Sunday morning.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Stefan, thank you very much.

STEFAN FORBES: Thank you. Take care.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Stefan Forbes is the director of Boogie Man: The Lee
Atwater Story. It airs on Frontline on your public television station
on Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, and you can also find more
information at Boogiemanfilm.com.