On Jun 24, 2005, at 12:29 PM, sparaig wrote:

> That was my point. People on this forum have said that MMY was not a
> "real" teacher, and
> certainly not qualified to be Shankaracharya, becaues he wasn't a
> Sanskrit scholar.
> Therefore he had to be coached on everything he was saying by someone
> who really knew
> what they were talking about.

I don't believe anyone said or implied the above. It would not be open
to him because he does not have an experiential knowledge of all the
various scriptures as well as knowledge of the texts themselves. This
is the same as the training of a lama (guru)--you have to have
experiential knowledge of all the methods and the underpinning of the
texts themselves. And yes, of course, as you point out he relies
heavily on input from pandits--but I seriously doubt there was ever a
*written* script. He takes what they tell him and spins it his own way.
He often relies on experts--e.g. the yoga asanas coming from a gym
teacher, etc.

It's almost hilarious this adulation which fringes on the insane. I
guess it's normal to put a teacher on a pedestal--in this case you (and
some others) seem to think that pedestal should be the Shankaracharya
of the North LOL.

One thing you can say about a Master is that a Master does not merely
dispense teaching by puja but by adhikara--your own unique needs, a
personal authorization for practice...or at least provides you with
skillful means to do so! People read way too much into the wholesale
dispensing of mantra.