Two brief comments:

There are basically two types of mantra initiation--by puja and by
adhikara. One is given out wholesale often as just a benefit for
happiness and fullfillment for those in the householder stage of life.
Another is given based on a masters realization of what the student
needs and precisely where s/he is at.

Ultimately a mantra has a source. TM mantras, for example, are tantric.
Tantric mantras manifest in the dimension beyond mind in certain adepts
throughout history. That dimension of visionary enjoyment manifests in
a specific way--through sound, light and rays. The "sound" aspect is
the mantra of that dimension.  The idea is that we can reintegrate with
that dimension and recapture the enlightenment it's receiver achieved
in that dimension. There are different ways to do this, but ultimately
what works best for you you are the tools that you need, period. So
bottom line: you need to know what you need by honestly looking at your
own condition and proceeding forward--but you also need to be given the
tools so you know HOW to proceed.

------These are good points Vaj.  However, never having met a guru or lama who would take time out of their busy schedule to coach me, and me being already 40 years old, I'm wondering where on earth one will find such a being?

Have you ever worked with a guru who looked after your best interest?  If so can you give an example? How did you manage to find such a person, what was in it for them, did work with them have results?