For anyone who is interested in the facts (i.e., not
Barry), there's a fascinating piece in the New York
Observer tracing the development of the Hillary-for-
SoS story through November 18:

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/foggy-bottom-top

It begins:

"Andrea Mitchell started it.

"It was she who told viewers of NBC's The Nightly News
With Brian Williams on Thursday, Nov. 13, that Hillary
Clinton 'is under consideration to be secretary of
state.'...

"On Nov. 13, Ms. Mitchell came on with Brian Williams
and offered a very tight, succinct report. Few details,
but 'two advisers to Barack Obama' confirmed that, yes,
Hillary was under consideration for the secretary of
state post. It was at this point we knew she made a
business trip to Chicago, but we didn't know why. (Ms
Mitchell reported that an 'adviser says that [it] was
on personal business.')"

[Note that when the story first broke, Clinton's people
weren't even acknowledging she had had a meeting with
Obama.]

"It took real reporting. Ms. Mitchell said this wasn't
a 'trial balloon' that the Obama or Clinton people
wanted out there. This wasn't a story that both camps
were planting to see how it played out.

"'There are several people who have said, "This is a
campaign that hadn't leaked for 22 months and now
they're leaking like a sieve!"' she said in an
interview with Off the Record. "I want to make this
clear. This is something I picked up 10 days earlier
and had really worked on.'"

Here's the video of her scoop from Nightly News:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619#27706294