As I said in a reply to Stu earlier, I don't
really much give a shit whether reincarnation
is a fact or not. Sure seems like it to me,
given my personal experiences, but I won't
know until I die. Neither will anyone else,
no matter how much they claim to know.

But that doesn't keep me from trippin' on the
idea of reincarnation, just for fun. Here's
one such trip that I find interesting, and it
is slightly reincarnation-themed.

I have a collection of photos that I sometimes
show to people as a kind of conversation starter.
They are all photos of buildings set in the
mountains, and all of the buildings and all of
the mountains are similar in appearance. But
the photos come from three different locations:
the South of France (Cathar ruins), the U.S.
Southwest (Anasazi ruins), and Tibet (ruins of
ancient monasteries there). I dare them to tell
me which photos are from which locations. Most
often, they can't.

So what do these three places have in common,
other than the countryside itself and the style
of architecture used to construct buildings?
Well, one of the things that they all have in
common is that the people who built the build-
ings all believed in reincarnation.

For the Tibetans, that was a given. They had
whole sciences and disciplines related to the
transit between one life and the next. In the
American Southwest, some of the latest research
into the Anasazi indicates that they probably
believed in not only an afterlife (like many
Native American tribes) but in reincarnation
as well (unlike other Native American tribes).
And in the South of France, the Cathars differed
from the other religions predominant in Europe
at that time by having a very strong belief
in reincarnation.

There are actually legends in Tibet that link
the Anasazi to Tibet. Padmasambhava is said to
have banished the Bon shamans who were giving
him shit about spreading Buddhism from Tibet
forever, and having sent them magically "across
the great water." This was about the same time
that the Anasazi stopped being nomadic and
started creating buildings that cannot be
easily differentiated from similar structures
in Tibet. The Anasazi themselves, as best as
can be determined, had "creation myths" that
said that they had reincarnated *as a group*
to that area, and that when the time was right,
they would leave and reincarnate *as a group*
in another place. As it turns out, the Anasazi
did disappear, as a group, in what is considered
the greatest archeological mystery of N. America.

As far as I know there are no legends linking
the Anasazi or the Tibetans with the Cathars. :-)
But I still think it's fun that these three
cultures, so far away from one another physically,
left artifacts that resemble each other phys-
ically, and shared similar beliefs in reincarnation.