--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu wrote:

> Similarly we have people in impoverished nations who
> believe they have to have lots of children so some
> will survive to take care of them in old age.
> Education and some retirement programs would
> solve the problem there.

I recently heard the oceanographer Robert
Ballard say that the way to manage overpopulation
would be to empower women worldwide. He said the
average age at which a female becomes a mother,
worldwide, is 14.

Let me say that again. Take the age at which
all the mothers in the world first became mothers,
and calculate the average age at which they bear
their first child. Turns out that age is 14 years old.

Ballard observed that if you could raise that
age to 20-something, you could flatten the
population curve pretty quickly.