--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@>

> > > I thought you lived in Finland...they have Jimmy Kimmel Live!
> there?
> > >

> > Oh yeah! We are fortunate enough to have it! On JIMtv (JIM = Jotain
> > Ihan Muuta: Something Totally Different), LOL!
> >
> > http://www.jimtv.fi/sarjat19.asp
> >

> And how come your English (your written English, anyway) is so
> friggin' good...is it your first language?  You write it like a
> native...

Why, thank you! It isn't my first language, and I often feel
quite uncertain as to articles and prepositions. I feel
like I'm "overusing" especially the 'the'... : ]

In "high school", English was my 5th language. Swedish was
my second, Latin third, German fourth. But in addition to
Finnish, English is the only one I can use in written
communication somewhat fluently.

> Speaking of English, when you talk it, do you have a Finnish accent?

Actually, I don't speak any language very well, not even Finnish. In
speaking time is a crucial factor, whereas when writing you can ponder
on an expression as long you like without annoying the "listener". But
I think very few people can speak a foreign language
without an accent unless they have learned it very young.