--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_reply@> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I know about relaxation induced anxiety.  Tell me why you think it
> > > fits TM theory?  I think it is the other way around, sometimes for
> > > some people when they meditate they become anxious or experience
> > > autogenic discharges, especially if they have mental health issues.
> > > For example, my feeling is that many cancer patients do better
> > > learning progressive relaxation meditation.  Meditation can lead to
> > > anxious thoughts where progressive relaxation has structured thoughts.
> >
> > TM theory is that ANY kind of relaxation may induce memories of
> emtional states
> > associated with some stressful experience. In the case with
> physiological
> > dysfunctions, the memories may be fake, but the symptoms are the
> same, and
> > the process of dealing with the is is the same as well.
> >
> > Lawson
> >
> Isn't TM theory that "unstressing" is a purification process, where
> old stresses are released by meditating? Not by relaxing, but
> specifically by meditating?  In contrast, RIA is not a purification
> process.  And you don't necessarily get better by more relaxation.
> (Not that I agree with TM theory on this issue).

Meditation is merely allowing the body to gat as much rest as it can at any
given moment. There's no difference, according to theory, between
simple relxation during TM and simple relaxation outside TM save
that TM facilitates going beyond the normal degree.

ANd you don't get "better" during unstresing by attempting to meditate
more either.

Lawson