--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...>
wrote:

> [...]

I was just about to reply "No really Shemp - you SHOULD be 100%
convinced that Google isn't doing something with the "organic"
listings" when a bit of synchronicity kicked in and I got a link to
this article today:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/12/googlewashing_revisited/

"Google this week admitted that its staff will pick and choose what
appears in its search results. It's a historic statement - and nobody
has yet grasped its significance."

It IS a huge seismic shift really. If true, (big "if" maybe) this is
as big a shock to us geeks as is the collapse of the banks. Both
represent the end of hubris: On the hand that the days of borrowing
and boom will never end, and on the other that the computer wizards of
Google can achieve near perfect "search" given a big enough server
farm and a clever algorithm.

"If I can operate Google, I can find anything... Google, combined with
Wi-Fi, is a little bit like God. God is wireless, God is everywhere
and God sees and knows everything. Throughout history, people
connected to God without wires. Now, for many questions in the world,
you ask Google, and increasingly, you can do it without wires, too."
(NYT 2003)

It may not be widely publicised - but behind the scenes Google has
been waging a vicious and bloody war against "Black Hat SEO". This
term refers to those very clever and inventive Search Engine Optimizer
experts who are forever trying to trick Google so as to get their
sites to appear high in the "organic" listings. (Rick of course is
"White hat SEO"!). They are to search engines what spammers are to email.

If it's indeed true that Google are planning to plug the weaknesses in
the algorithm with human review, then this suggests that Google could
be raising the white flag and giving in, overwhelmed by the bad guys.
A great shame. (But then the evidence for this in the article seems a
bit weak?)

It's all going tits up isn't it? The banks, then the car industry, and
now Google? Interesting times!