"yifuxero"  wrote: "Thinking of Nothing" (blank mind?)?
>  There's no necessary connection to Transcendence.  Dead people have
blank minds.

Words, words, words.  How to make them impactful?

Ya gotta put the intellect onto this "thinking of nothing" until it
reveals its basic philosophical axioms instead of being an empty blurb
passing through the mind so swiftly that its potency to ignite Advaitic
self inquiry is but briefly experienced.

How could a mind think of nothing?

It can't, because thoughts are things, and the mind is only a parade of
thoughts.  Without thoughts, no mind.  Even pure Amness is a thought, a
process of a nervous system that Identity is flowing into (attachment.)

Identity is the sought, the eternal.  It is Identity, not the mind, that
can survive being unmanifest.

It's about identification slipping off of the activities of a meat robot
and onto the Absolute -- a turning  of identification to its source,
Identity -- or, at least onto Amness from whence it may then slip onto
the Absolute.  Dead people don't have minds, yes, so that's proof that
one isn't the mind if one has as an axiom that one's true state is
eternal; "the mind dies, so what doesn't die? -- and how does one
identify with it?"  Only the purest silence can be eternal since all
processing must obey the law of entropy eventually -- ask Indra how many
"lifetimes as Indra" preceded him.

How can the ego be satisfied with such an identification when it is
commonly found firehosing isness like a ceaseless parade of mask
wearing?  The mind is always found to be saying  "I'm that.  Now, I'm
that.  No, wait, I'm this now."  Each "this-that" that we say we are is
like placing our treasure (Identity) where moth and rust doth corrupt.
We are not new cars waiting for our first dent, and though we are ever
so certain that "thoughts R us," they too will be dented and finally die
and leave us bereft of an object of consciousness to glom onto for the
sake of embodying Identity.  Only the silence of Amness (a glorious
illusion, the noisiest noise what am: OM) will remain if all
expressionism is stymied by transcending thought, but Amness too will
die with the body.

And the good news is:  Amness is identification waiting for "an impulse
of the Absolute" to engender an expression -- a mind dwelling upon
Amness is like an arrow fully drawn back, and from that stance, from
that dynamic stillness, in that "perfect illusion of silence," the pure
mind (still existing but not doing) that can find itself suddenly "not
enough" or "too claustrophobic," such that "whatever is identifying with
it" must spontaneously (via grace) expand its definition of self to
include the other half of the yinyang thangy -- white side is "all the
processing possible" and the dark side is "not that light side, but a
side nonetheless."  In that Amness, Identity finds that it has a true
choice to be or not to be.  It can manifest "all the things possible
that can be identified with," and/or it can also be "where no hat can
hang."

Beyond thingness, (ask Godel how limited thingness is,) is that which
cannot be expressed by any system of axioms.  Godel teaches that not all
truths can be expressed by any system no matter how complex it might be.
Godel says, "You can't get there from here -- you can only get there by
not starting out here.  Yet that 'there' exists."

The mind can be stilled down to one primal thought which is the home of
all knowledge but not the home of
all-knowledge-that-cannot-be-expressed.  Only the Absolute can be said
to encompass that which cannot be expressed.  The ultimate mind, say,
Lord Brahma's, can cognize the largest or least of all things graspable,
but the Ineffable eluded His perfect mind for the 3000 years He sought
it.  Only tapas revealed it to Him.  Seeking the Absolute exhausted
Brahma to

When asked, "What is the difference between inquiry and meditation?"
Ramana replied:   "Inquiry consists in retaining the mind in the Self.
Meditation consists in thinking that one's self is Brahman,
existence-consciousness-bliss."   And: "Although the practices for
achieving strength of mind are numerous, all of them achieve the same
end.  For it can be seen that whoever concentrates his mind on any
object will, on the cessation of all mental concepts, ultimately remain
merely as that object.  This is called successful meditation (dhyana
siddhi.) Those who follow the path of inquiry realize that the mind
which remains at the end of inquiry is Brahman.  Those who practice
meditation realize that the mind which remains at the end of the
meditation is the object of their meditation.  As the result is the same
in either case, it is the duty of aspirants to practice continuously
either of these methods till the goal is reached."

Note that Ramana is comfortable with Identity flowing into manifestation
or with Identity remaining within itself....either is realization.
Inquiry is seen as directly going to Identity; meditation is seen as
engaging the mind in a process of attending to ever subtler nuances of
the thinking-experience and eventually ending up with pure Amness as the
embodiment of Identity.  Either side of the yin yang can be found as a
perfect embodiment of Identity; thus, the Absolute (Identity) is said to
be beyond both.

And that's just for starters when one wants to grok what "thinking of
nothing" entails.

And, yeah, just yesterday I said I wouldn't post any of Ramana's words.
But, but, but, it's a thorn removing a thorn I tells ya!

Edg