> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu wrote:
> >
> > Patrick Gillam wrote:

> > > I spent every bit of my teacher training
> > > courses learning how to teach. We had to
> > > memorize most everything, which was hard
> > > for me.
> > >
> > > My TM teacher training took place in
> > > three phases:
> > >
> > > Phase 1 was where we learned to give
> > > introductory lectures and conduct the
> > > checking procedure.
> > >
> > > Phase 2 was a practicum in the field,
> > > where we presented intro lectures, checked
> > > people and administered programs such as
> > > seasonal celebrations at the TM Center.
> > >
> > > Phase 3 was where we learned how to conduct
> > > the six steps of teaching that follow the
> > > intro lecture: the prep lecture, the personal
> > > interview, the puja and instruction, and the
> > > three nights of follow-up meetings.
> > >
> > > Phase 3 took three months, with zero days off.
> > >
> > > My courses were structured in a no-man-left-
> > > behind fashion. Once I passed my tests and
> > > demonstrated my mastery of the material at
> > > hand, I became a tester for others and helped
> > > them pass their tests. Hence, I was always busy.
> > > We were all busy.
> > >
> > > We didn't have a lot of time in the day,
> > > either, because we were rounding much of the time.
> > >
> > > TM teacher training for me was a cross between
> > > military service and graduate school. Very intense.
> > > I grew a lot.
> > >
> > I thought that trying to pass memorization
> > tests while way up in rounds
> > was insane.  It seemed to amplify any
> > nervousness one might have whereas
> > testing down in rounds would have been
> > much easier.  It was sort of like
> > trying to walk a tight rope while drunk.

Maybe so, but everyone managed to pass
his tests, thanks in part to the structure
described above, whereby people who mastered
the material then focused on helping their
course mates master it in turn.

> Sounds like its own form of testing/training under induced stress.
>
> Lawson

The unstressing did lead to behavior that
was perhaps less graceful than desired. One
day at lunch during my TTC Phase 3, a few
of us were remarking on the clumsiness we
were exhibiting, bumping into people and
spilling our food. A man in my study group
said he had simply resolved to stop behaving
that way, and the resolution worked - no more
clumsiness. I took my cue from Jeff (his name),
and learned a valuable lesson: I could simply
decide to behave in a certain way, and that
resolution could carry forward into my behavior.
No surprise, I suppose, if it's true that
consciousness is the foundation of life, and
intention gives direction to consciousness.