From: David Orme-Johnson [mailto:davi...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 4:10 PM
To: David Orme-Johnson
Subject: Myth of the Relaxation Response

Dear Colleagues,

I have just posted Myth
<http://www.truthabouttm.org/truth/Research/ComparisonofTechniques/Relaxatio
nResponse/index.cfm>  of the Relaxation Response, a paper I wrote some time
ago, under the section on Comparison of Techniques. A link to it and the
Abstract appear below. It documents that all techniques do not have the same
acute or long term effects, but rather have effects that are tailored to
what the specific techniques do. I plan to update it and send it to a
journal, but since so many people ask me about this, I decided to post what
I have for now.

I also posted the new paper by Sarina Grosswald and colleagues on the
<http://www.truthabouttm.org/truth/IndividualEffects/ResultsforEducation/TMa
ndADHD/index.cfm>  effects of the TM program on ADHD.

Issue: Are all techniques of relaxation and meditation the same?

The
<http://www.truthabouttm.org/truth/Research/ComparisonofTechniques/Relaxatio
nResponse/index.cfm>  Myth of the Relaxation Response

by David Orme-Johnson, Ph.D.

Abstract
Although relaxation and meditation techniques have been hypothesized to
produce the so-called relaxation response, a review of the literature finds
that the acute physiological changes that occur during most techniques are
not significantly different from uninstructed rest, sitting eyes closed.
Compared to rest, some techniques produce specific acute changes resulting
from their specific methodologies, such as reduced muscle tension in muscle
relaxation techniques, reduced respiration according to the well known
orienting response in techniques that require focused attention, and
reflexive entrainment of the heart rate with the breath for techniques that
control respiration.

The relaxation response was originally modeled on the changes produced by
the Transcendental MeditationR (TMR) technique, but some changes that occur
during TM, such as increased cardiac output, skin conductance, and plasma
adrenaline, are in the opposite direction of the relaxation response, and
many other changes, such as increased cerebral blood flow and EEG coherence,
are unpredicted by the relaxation response. With regard to clinical
outcomes, randomized clinical trials that controlled for expectation,
placebo, and other design features, as well as meta-analyses and reviews of
over 790 studies, provide strong evidence that different techniques are not
equivalent and they have specific effects. For example, it appears that
muscular disorders are best treated with muscularly oriented methods, while
autonomic dysfunction such as hypertension and migraine headaches are more
effectively treated with techniques that target the autonomic nervous
system. The Transcendental Meditation technique appears to be the most
effective treatment overall for a broad range of stress-related disorders,
including hypertension, anxiety, substance abuse, and mental health.

David W. Orme-Johnson,Ph.D.

 <mailto:davi...@earthlink.net> davi...@earthlink.net

 <http://www.truthabouttm.com/> www.TruthAboutTM.com

www.Orme-JohnsonPaintings.com/