--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M" <compost...@...> wrote:

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@>
wrote:

> > > I remember MMY talking about "free will" he said we have free will
> > > when we are no longer a "football" of life and our will becomes the
> > > will of God. The enlightened person's will becomes "Thy will be
done,"
> > > and this is right action. If anyone else remembers this chime in.
> >

> > This is one of those examples where Maharishi's lack of philosophy
> > training becomes problematic.
>
> Beg to differ... what "training" falsifies that idea? I don't see it.

Training in the contradictory dilemmas caused by taking each position.
 It is an unresolved issue in philosophy.  It is mostly used as a way
to train philosophical reasoning but the question itself is not
answered by saying "the guy is in UC."  People without training in
philosophy tend to have an unwarranted confidence in their
philosophical arguments without out knowing that more brilliant minds
than theirs have been over this ground already.   Studying philosophy
gives you a sense of humility about human knowledge.  It takes away
some of the glib summations of perennial questions which have no
definite solutions because much of what it deals with is unknown to
humans. (even ones who wear special clothes)

> > If you can only act in accord with a
> > predetermined program, then that is not FREE!
>
> Yes, but that may be just "semantics"?

They are defined with opposite values.

> I suppose if you followed Spinoza, you might argue that "there is no
> free will". But you could (perhaps!) argue that the deep realisation
> of that fact in itself changes your behaviour. Which creates a sort
of> paradox I suppose (as in quantum mechanics where the act of
> observation changes the nature of the observed). I think I see MMY's
> position as along those lines (I think!)

You lost me when you used the physics poetry but Spinoza represents
one aspect of this argument.  My point is that today we have the
benefit of both arguments for human free will and determinism and now
educate people can't make a glib statement that it is resolved, which
Maharishi attempted to do with his higher states model.