> > ...our great grandparents will tell us how they used to
> > walk ten miles through the snow barefoot to do program
> > and they were glad to do it!

> If our great grandparents had spent half as much time
> sitting on their rear ends as we do, we'd still be without
> electricity and running water. And their shoes were
> undoubtedly a lot sturdier than the junk some of us
> wear today.

Ok, although it's not really related, except in my
odd mind, here's a topic that's led to fun discus-
sions on other spiritual forums.

When you look at spiritual traditions as a whole,
across the planet, isn't it fascinating how many of
them advocate celibacy for their clergy/leaders?
I mean, we're talking the Roman Catholic Church
and some other Western traditions, and many, many
Eastern traditions.  And I'm sure we've all heard
the arguments for why celibacy is theoretically a
good deal for those seriously committed to a spirit-
ual path.  The fun question that's come up on other
forums, however, has to do with how good this trend
is for future generations.

Think about this practice in terms of the gene pool.
In almost every culture that has spawned these trad-
itions of celibacy, the people who are expected to
become lifelong celibates are "the best and the
brightest."  They often are among the few in any
given era who are drawn to spirituality strongly.
They often also have the best minds and the best
hearts of that era, in terms of how deeply they feel
about their fellow human beings and about being of
service to them.

Drawn by this desire to help others, and to help the
world, they gravitate to the priesthood, or take vows
as a monk.  And what happens?  The "best and brightest"
genes are effectively purged from the gene pool, and
never passed down to subsequent generations.

So what's up with that?  It would seem to me that
logically nature would WANT these "best and brightest"
folks to pass along their intelligence and admirable
traits to future generations, rather than effectively
depriving future generations of the genes that support
that higher intelligence and more evolved traits.

Go figure, eh?

Unc