Great list. Jody is always good for stirring things
up. I'd be interested in how many here believe in them.
My comments are below, to prime the pump.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "yifuxero" <yifux...@...> wrote:

> I disagree that some of these are folk theories.  In any event, I
> found the list at guruphiliac:
>
> Folk Theory of Guru-Based Spirituality
>
> • Enlightenment can be transmitted supernaturally

I believe that *experience* can be transmitted.
Whether the process is "supernatural" or whether
the experience being transmitted is enlightenment
is an open question for me.

> • Enlightenment is the culmination of something

I don't believe this. I think it's a result of
hierarchical thinking, whereas the universe is
relational, not hierarchical. It's fascinating,
though, how many believe this without reservation.
It's also fascinating how many think that they
can kick back and not work on themselves any more
once they experience something they consider
enlightenment.

> • Enlightenment entails knowing everything

Don't believe this. But then I don't know everything. :-)

> • Enlightenment causes all thought to cease

Don't believe this. It's actually contrary to the
common definition of enlightenment. Samadhi may
be defined as the cessation of thought, but the
definition of enlightenment is samadhi *with*
thoughts and actions.

> • Enlightenment is love

Don't think I've ever heard this, much less
believe it. Love is the middle name of actress
Jennifer Love Hewitt. How stupid would her name
sound if she billed herself as Jennifer
Enlightenment Hewitt, right?  :-)

> • Only a guru can bestow enlightenment

Don't believe this. It's even contrary to the
anecdotal historical record. See Buddha and
Ramana Maharshi. But I like the word "bestow."
It makes me think of pirates. "Bestow that
bilge below decks, me hearties." Or was that
"stow?" Never mind. :-)

> • The guru is within yourself

And boy! does that make it hard to shop for
clothes. I believe that it's possible that the
guru is inside Bevan Morris, but that's why he
shops at Big & Tall. :-)

> • Being God means having some or all of "God's" powers

Especially the part about not being able to
prove that you exist. :-)

> • Because you are God, you can affect things by thought alone

I affect things by thought alone all the time.
Some shyster on TV or in an introductory lecture
tries to sell me something, I think, "That sounds
like a scam," and don't give him my money. I have
affected him. And my bank balance. :-)

> • Because you are connected to everything, you can affect things
> by thought alone

See above. My bank balance is connected to having
learned a little something from a lifetime of
gullibility.

> • Everything is connected

And it's made of Tinkertoys. :-)

> • You are guided by a higher self

If so, it's got a white cane and is wearing dark
glasses and needs help at busy intersections. :-)

> • You create your own reality

This is the one I'm interested in how many people
here believe. I don't. I'm more of an interdependent
origination kinda guy. Reality is the intersection
of internal reality and external reality, both of
which are real, both of which exist.

> • Everything in the world is an illusion

See above. Don't believe this for an instant. As
someone once said, "Knowledge is structured in
consciousness." In some states of consciousness,
the world *appears* to be an illusion. That does
not mean it is in any other state of consciousness.
It's amazing to me how many people don't get this.

> • Divinity can be subverted by the flesh

I'm not sure what exactly is meant here by either
"divinity" or "flesh." If Jody is trying to say
that one's divine nature can be somewhat humbled
by being covered with a ton of chicken parts and
flesh, I agree with him. If he's suggesting that
the body having "impure" thoughts or doing "impure"
things keeps its "divinity" away, I think that's
a crock of shit. I believe that everything is
equally divine, and equally base. Except chicken
parts. They're icky. :-)

> • Good and evil are forces locked in an eternal struggle

And as at all title bouts, front row seats cost
a *lot*. :-) I believe that forces of creation and
destruction interact constantly, but that's just
called entropy, or life. "Good" and "evil" are
constructions created by human beings to express
their preferences for some things and their fear
of others.

> • Good always prevails

Anyone who believes this has never been in a war zone.
I have.

> • Things will be better in the future

I believe that the only thing one can realistically
say in this regard about the future is that it will
be the present when it happens, and that it won't
be all that different from this present.

> • Things were better in the past

I believe that the past was not much different from
the present, and won't be from the future. Thinking
that either is "better" than the present is a way to
avoid experiencing the present.

> • People and things can be holy

I believe everything is equally holy. And unholy.

> • Ancient wisdom is better

It all depends on the barrel it's aged in. Oh. That's
whiskey and tequila. Never mind. :-)

> • A just, omnipotent God exists

And he's having an illicit affair with Santa
Claus' wife. That's just because he just "knows"
that it's OK, and he's omnipotent. :-)

> • Everything happens according to a Plan

Unfortunately, the Plan is written in a language
that no human understands. Many claim to, in the
same way that they claim to see the future in
tea leaves. :-)

> • You'll get back every good and bad thing you do

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still waiting
to get back the money I spent on my first girlfriend. :-)

> • Sex is a loss to the spirit

The Spirit is a comic book character. As far as I
know, none of the issues showed him having sex,
much less losing it over it. :-)

> • Sex is a boon to the spirit

I'm going to have to remember this one in singles'
bars. "Could you grant me a boon, sweet miss?" :-)

> • Technology is harmful

Absolutely. And indoor plumbing is the worst. :-)

> • Only the heart knows what is true

If that's true, then the money I spent on my first
girlfriend was Truth incarnate. So is the fact that
she dumped me for a guy who could spend more on her.
Such is the nature of truth. :-)

> • The mind is an enemy of the spirit

But The Spirit always wins, because his name is on
the cover of the comic book. :-)

> • The spirit is an energy

I thought we covered this. The Spirit is a comic
book character. He is two-dimensional, and composed
of ink on paper. Whatever "energy" one perceives in
him is projected there. :-)

> • Personality survives death

I am fairly certain that any number of personalities
will survive my death. At the present moment, if I
died this instant, approximately 6,758,267,315 per-
sonalities would survive it. Whether mine would is
an open question.

Great fun. Thanks, Yifu.