<snip>
> I'll snip the rest but repost this excerpt from
> the interview with Shanley himself, because it's
> not only relevant to the film, but to Fairfield
> Life:
>
> > > ''And still another reason I wrote this play is that I'm very
> > > aware that debate has become the form of communication, like
> > > on 'Crossfire.' There is no room or value placed on doubt,
> > > which is one of the hallmarks of the wise man. It's getting
> > > harder and harder in this society to find a place for spacious,
> > > true intellectual exchange. It's all becoming about who won
> > > the argument, which is just moronic.''

Thing is, debate and "spacious, true intellectual
exchange" are not mutually exclusive. It's really
only people who have a terrible fear of being
*wrong* who resist the notion of certainty and
insist that everything is open to questioning and
doubt.

There's nothing inherently wrong with certainty, and
there's nothing inherently wrong with doubt, each in
its appropriate circumstance. What's problematic is
trying to make either one an absolute.