'honest-services fraud' redresses the deprivation of an intangible
right to another's honest services.

  "In 1988, Congress criminalized "a scheme or artifice to deprive
another of the intangible right of honest services" under the mail-
and wire-fraud statutes. Conviction carries a maximum sentence of 20
years."
"In the public sector, cases typically involve bribery or some other
personal gain by a public official, such as a failure to disclose a
conflict of interest that benefited the official."
"Prosecutors use the honest-services charge against private-sector
individuals, too, such as corporate executives, usually in cases
involving kickbacks or circumstances where the executives have
cheated a company. Unlike garden-variety criminal fraud, which
requires that a victim was bilked out of tangible property, such as
money, honest-services fraud redresses the deprivation of an
intangible right to another's honest services."

-Wall Street Journal

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "boo_lives" <boo_li...@...>