Let me jump into this attachment discussion.

I'd like to argue that you don't know what attachment is until you experience
pure consciousness while the mind functions. Any attempt to become unattached
through the mind is pure mood-making/manipulation which is worthless. Most
people disengage/unattach from aspects of their relative existence out of
neurotic fear, not out of a desire for realization. They want to free
themselves from the discomfort of the mind's attachment so they disengage. But
this is a mistake. Even in enlightenment the mind is still fully engaged when
dealing with relative existence. What is unattached in enlightenment is pure
conscious which has ALWAYS been unattached. But prior to realization pure
consciousness identifies with something other than itself (primarily the mind,
secondarily the body) and an ego is created. So pure awareness experiences
itself as limited. This is a delusion. This is why advaitins will say you
already are enlightened. That might be true, but its not
 necessarily very helpful for popping you out of a delusion. It'd be like a
character in a dream telling you that all of this is not real. It might get you
out of the dream or you might just look at him and say, what?