>From the article MDixon posted:

The president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, in a speech in Detroit
Thursday, tried to put a brave face on the tough year ahead. Thomas
Donohue acknowledged that big business didn't get in the stimulus bill
some of the tax-relief measures it most wanted, but promised the
Chamber's support.

"The bottom line is that at the end of the day, we're going to support
the legislation. Why? Because with the markets functioning so poorly,
the government is the only game in town capable of jump-starting the
economy," Donohue said.

=====

If a comparison can be made with the New Deal: The New Deal worked,
worked well, and worked quickly.

U.S. Gross Domestic Product 1929-1941

See chart:
http://images2.dailykos.com/images/user/363/Depression_GDP_output_1.gif

The economy had hit rock bottom in March 1933 and
then started to expand. As historian Broadus Mitchell
notes, "Most indexes worsened until the summer of
1932, which may be called the low point of the
depression economically and psychologically."[18]

Economic indicators show the economy reached nadir in
the first days of March, then began a steady, sharp
upward recovery. Thus the Federal Reserve Index of
Industrial Production hit its lowest point of 52.8 in
July 1930 (with 1935-39 = 100) and was practically
unchanged at 54.3 in March 1933; however by July 1933,
it reached 85.5, a dramatic rebound of 57% in four months.

Recovery was steady and strong until 1937. Except for
unemployment, the economy by 1937 surpassed the levels of
the late 1920s. The Recession of 1937 was a temporary
downturn. Private sector employment, especially in
manufacturing, recovered to the level of the 1920s but
failed to advance further until the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Deal

Total employment in the United States from 1920 to 1940, excluding
farms and WPA. Data was obtained from the U.S. Census Bureau
Statistical Abstracts and converted into SVG format

GRAPH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Employment_Graph_-_1920_to_1940.svg

===

McClatchy Washington Bureau
Posted on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2009

Will the stimulus actually stimulate? Economists say no
By Kevin G. Hall

WASHINGTON — The compromise economic stimulus plan agreed to by
negotiators from the House of Representatives and the Senate is short
on incentives to get consumers spending again and long on social goals
that won't stimulate economic activity, according to a range of
respected economists.

"I think (doing) nothing would have been better," said Ed Yardeni, an
investment analyst who's usually an optimist, in an interview with
McClatchy. He argued that the plan fails to provide the right
incentives to spur spending.

"It's unfocused. That is my problem. It is a lot of money for a lot of
nickel-and- dime programs. I would have rather had a lot of money for
(promoting purchase of) housing and autos . . . . Most of this plan is
really, I think, aimed at stabilizing the situation and helping people
get through the recession, rather than getting us out of the
recession. They are actually providing less short-term stimulus by
cutting back, from what I understand, some of the tax credits."

Read More...