I've just come back from my Saturday morning walk along
the ocean with my dogs. It's a warm, sunny day here in
Sitges, with many of the hundreds of people along the
boardwalk wearing only sweaters, and occasionally just
T-shirts or tank tops. And for some reason the exper-
ience has left me wondering about wonder.

One of my favorite Bruce Cockburn lines ( Yes, *him*
again! :-) is his reworking of the Lao-tzu quote from
the Tao Te Ching that is the Subject line of this post.

If we can sing with the wind song
Chant with thunder
Play upon the lightning
Melodies of wonder
Into wonder
Life will open

What has me pondering the word "wonder" this morning is
the curious phenomenon of the different places that
human beings *find* wonder -- how open and unlimited
some of these places are, and how limited and
constricted other such places are.

Take this discussion group, for example. Face it...we
are pretty much all "wonder junkies" here. Even if we
are no longer on an overt spiritual path, we love those
moments of wonder that we stumble upon that zap! some-
thing in our brains or our hearts and make us wake up!
for just a moment and re-experience the wonder we felt
about life in our youth.

For some, those moments of wonder are found in rooms
sitting with their eyes closed, in reading scripture or
tales of power from the past, in the words of their
spiritual teacher, or by focusing on him or her
one-pointedly.

For others, they seem to find similar moments of wonder
that inspire them in just the weirdest, most everyday
places -- in movies and TV, in a funny YouTube clip or
a ribald joke, in a favorite song, or in catching a
glimpse of a beautiful woman or a handsome man.

Some would have you believe that the former moments of
wonder are qualitatively "better" or "higher" than the
latter moments. The argument goes, "Because we are focus-
ing on something 'higher,' something 'more refined' and
'less worldly,' our moments of wonder are cooler than
yours, and more spiritual."

My response would have to be an unqualified "Bah!"

Wonder is wonder, wherever one finds it, and from what-
ever source of inspiration. The inspiration itself -- if
it lifts you out of the same old same old and into a
mental or emotional space that reminds you of wonder
itself and the joy of life -- is the same, whatever
inspires it.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. When folks sug-
gest that me finding wonder and inspiration in a beautiful
girl walking by is somehow "lesser" than them finding
wonder in a book of scripture or in thoughts of God, I
emulate Dogbert by raising my paw and saying, "Bah!"

On my walk today by the ocean, I saw dozens of things that,
for me, inspired wonder. Each of these things uplifted me
and made me feel "spiritual" in a way that I'm not sure I
would ever have achieved by sitting at home and reading
the "highest" scripture. YMMV.

Some of this morning's moments that inspired wonder for me:

* The beautiful young mother pushing her baby along the
boardwalk in a stroller, feeling her long blonde hair
toss in the wind and enjoying the sensual nature of it,
then noticing me noticing and smiling, and smiling back.

* The two-year-old toddling along, still somewhat unsure
about this walking stuff, and noticing my dogs...toddling
up to one of them and getting his first "dog hug"...my dog
tolerating it gracefully, but with a look on his face that
made me LOL.

* A seagull with Johnathon Livingston Seagull aspirations
doing loop-do-loops above us, occasionally swooping down to
grab morsels of food held out by admiring humans.

* A teenager overcome with a need to not only walk along the
boardwalk on a sunny Saturday morning, but to *dance* along
it, doing a creditable pàs de deux with the wind...stopping,
noticing the passersby not being as appreciative as she'd
thought they might be, frowning...noticing me watching her
and smiling big-time...laughing, and doing one last pirouette
and curtsy in my direction before walking on.

I could go on and on. So many moments of wonder, each of them
opening me to even more.

While I may understand that people find wonder in the same
old same old places they've found it for years -- in meditation,
on "rounding courses," in pujas and yagyas and celebrations,
in thinking about or discussing intellectual models for enlight-
enment or self discovery, I think they might be missing some-
thing if they believe those are the *only* places they can
find it.

Wonder is all around us, on every street or boardwalk. If we
don't notice it, and hurry home to search for wonder in a book,
IMO that's not the wonder-on-the-street's fault.