--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>
wrote:

>  "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
>
> > Let's see, a self-proclaimed yogi comes to America, gains a following
> > including Hollywood actors and entertainment business people by offering a
> > method for inner peace for the East.  It's not only comparable the guys
> > almost all ran the same campaign. If you read Vivekananda and Yogananda it
> > is clear.  They believed that their spirituality contained Jesus as some
> > sort of minor avatar.
> >
> Okay, I'm jumping into this thread without a lot of background.  But from
> past comments, I gather you are skeptical about Yogananda.  I think you have
> implied that he was a phony.  Same for Vivekananda?  I mention this because I
> have always held both in high regard.

I do find Yogananda's miracle saint stories far fetched and a bit naive.  He
seems inclined to take claims at face value. His experience of seeing Krishna
waving at him seems very, very silly to me.

I forget what I read from Vivekananda but I do remember that he got physically
pushed around by Westerners who didn't appreciate his Eastern message which
makes me think he was pretty brave.  He was a real trail blazer.  I should read
his biography, I'll bet it is very interesting.

If you see value in either of their teachings good on ya mate.  My loss, your
gain.