--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@> wrote:
>
> > Although no group of three meditators is representative of the whole bunch.
> > I know plenty of sweet, non-judgmental ones.
>
> Which comes back to my theory of meditaton, that it doesn't really improve
> people in any way that matters to people around them.  It is an internal
> choice of a mental state that is important only to the person who prefers it.
>  In this model we have to ditch every single claim of meditation's benifits
> to a person's social behavior.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't have an
> internal value to the person.  It obviously does, or they wouldn't continue
> given the lack of external, noticeable benifits to people around them.  And I
> don't believe meditation or the fantasy worlds he enjoys have made
> Nabulous1008 worse in any way.  I meet people like him in every field I
> interact with.  It doesn't speak poorly about TM that he acts this way, it is
> all on him.  TM is just a specialness prop.  It could be anything, being the
> best cat show judge!  You should see some of those misanthropes in action.
>
> So I second the idea that meditators are not worse, or better (my addition)
> to anyone else in the world.  They are the same mix we find everywhere and
> the decades of practice hasn't seemed to have shifted this reality.

I wonder about this.  Most TBs started when they were young and impressionable
so TM played a big role in making them who they are, especially if they got
caught up in the TMOs organizational aspects.   But the question we can't
answer is whether they would have found another cult, another prop?  We can
never know.  But given the age so many become believers I am not ready to
believe it is all on the believer.  That is why I express dismay when I think
about TM in the schools.  Kids are so impressionable.

I do have to remind myself that most people who start TM don't keep up with it
and  my pool of TBs inevitably is an odd group.