--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, drpetersutphen <drpetersutp...@...> wrote:

> This discussion around intellectual dishonesty is interesting, but I'm more
> interested in the term'hysterical" what do you mean by it's use? It's just a
> non-explanitory term like saying people who see UFO's are hypnotized. WTF
> does that mean?

I used it as shorthand for my impressions in my initial post that led to this
discussion. I don't find it as imprecise as saying "hypnotized" as I meant it
in the dictionary sense of an uncontrolled emotional reaction arising out of
the circumstances.  But to be clear, I am not talking about some mental
disorder.   I fleshed things out a bit when I talked about reasons people could
be exhibiting certain behaviors when learning yogic flying.  I mentioned group
pressure and suggestibility, as well as other things.  For example, you get a
group together on a high intensity course,  with certain expectations that
something just might happen, and they paid a lot for that something, and
someone shouts, or barks it can be infectious. And then justification can
proceed from there.  Given the wide variability of how people behaved at
courses, and how this changed after people were told that they didn't need to
make noise, this seems a reasonable explanation.

Similarly, when you get certain sects of Christians together and they pray and
chant and one person suddenly starts speaking gibberish, it can be infectious.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I was not infected.