> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Judy (from a post on alt.m.t):
> > We've discussed this before here, and TMers chimed in
> > about their own initiations; some knelt, some didn't.
> > I didn't.  There's no pressure to do so.  Some who
> > had more recently learned TM said there hadn't even
> > been an *invitation* to kneel.
> >
> > ME:
> > No one if forced to kneel.  But the presumptive motion
> > we make as we kneel,indicating that they kneel worked
> > every time I used it.  I never had anyone in all my
> > teaching, not kneel.  The impression that some do and
> > some don't is a vast overstatement of people who do not.
> > It would require a pretty strong oppositional
> > personality or a person who had their own religious
> > convictions to not go along.
>
> Must have been lots of 'em on alt.m.t and among the
> TMers I knew, then. "Some do, some don't" is not an
> overstatement in terms of my observation and that of
> others on alt.m.t, including one TM teacher.
>
> > Judy:
> > Even if the student *does* choose to kneel at the end,
> > he or she spends most of the ceremony standing off to
> > the side, just watching, contrary to the post I was
> > responding to which claimed by analogy, falsely, that
> > the student was "on his knees" throughout and very
> > directly participated.
> >
> > ME:
> > "Just watching" IS how you participate in a Hindu puja.
>
> "Just watching" is how you participate in a movie, too.
>
> This argument doesn't work when it involves an *absence*
> of active participation, Curtis. Not-doing what Hindus
> don't-do doesn't add up to Hindu-type participation.
>
> > They don't have the call and response deal Christians have.
>
> Don't have call and response at the movies, either (unless
> it's the Rocky Horror Show).
>
> > Judy:
> > Moreover, if the student doesn't show up with fruit and
> > handkerchief and flowers, the center usually has a supply on
> > hand.
> >
> > ME:
> > I take exception to this.  We sent them out to get the stuff
> > if they came without it.
>
> Regardless of what you may have done, I did fruit
> and flowers for several weekends at the Manhattan
> TM Center, and we always had a supply of fruit and
> flowers on hand for people who forgot them.
>
> > Judy:
> > Again, unless the student chooses to kneel at the very end of the
> > ceremony, he or she cannot be said to participate in it in any
> > way.  And even that minimal participation is entirely optional.
> >
> > Me:
> > Now that you know more about traditional Hindu pujas
> > you may want to amend this claim. In a Hindu puja, you
> > give the priest offerings to be made on your behalf
> > and you give him cash for his service.  The student
> > who is not aware of how pujas are done may be confused
> > about their level of participation.

> [...]

Ahh, but our mission was to convert the "beginning TM student" to someone who
came to the advanced lectures, attended residence courses, take SCI, get Siddha
instrauction, buy various and sundry treatments, etc. etc.

Curtis's arguments make no sense to you because allowing yourself to agree with
them would mean that you have been participating in a religion all this time.

I taught hundreds of people and never once did anyone not kneel. One was a
famous football coach who, instead of kneeling on both knees, kneeled down in
the classic one knee "coach with clipboard" position. (Always got a kick out of
that.)

You have the student bring the offerings. If they don't they were told to go
back and get them. Where I taught, providing the missing offerings was not an
option. They had to bring it. As Curtis mentions, we then give the "prasad"
back to the student to enjoy the now "blessed" offering.

Teaching without a puja was forbidden, no ifs ands or buts.

You can claim all of this is nonsense if you like, but you were not a teacher.
It's one thing to isolate one aspect of teaching TM and try to argue the
non-religious nature. But when you consider the totality of what we know about
the puja, the pretend world government, the yagyas, the mantras representing
the essence of Hindu gods....the whole nine yards of it, to claim that TM is
not a religion involves the epitome of head in the sand (or even a much darker
place) thinking.