I may be the only one left enjoying the conversation about the puja...

but here is something I thought of this morning.  The movement wants TM in
schools but they have a dilemma.  TM was invented out of a religious tradition.
 Maharishi has said that we need to recognize the source of the knowledge when
we teach to keep it pure.  There is also a deeper belief that the puja does
some kind of magic to the mantra and this is a religious belief.  So if the
movement really wants to teach a secular mediation they could say this instead
of doing the puja before teaching someone:

Before you teach someone, and without the picture of the Hindu Pope in front or
an alter the teacher says to the student:

"Before we teach TM we always start by acknowledging the tradition of
meditation teachers who have given us this wisdom of integration of life.  The
closest to us in this line was Maharishi's teacher Guru Dev, who was a
religious leader in India.  Maharishi secularized his teaching so that anyone
from any background could enjoy meditation without interfering with their own
beliefs and background.  As meditation teachers, we always remember the source
of our tradition and promise to maintain the purity and effectiveness of how
Maharishi instructed us to teach.  Now let's begin."

Of course this will never happen because the movement believes in the puja AS a
religious act with magical properties.  What I just said would satisfy the
brochure level claim that the purpose of the puja is to keep the knowledge pure
by acknowledging the tradition.  It also makes explicit the religious source of
TM without the Vedic two-step song and dance.

This of course does not address the mantras or the religious assumptions in the
3 days of checking.  But I am offering this not as a serious suggestion (I was
born at night but it wasn't LAST night) but as an indicator for the lack of
seriousness in the movement for teaching TM in a truly secular way.

My suggestion would be considered absurd in the movement because it ignores the
religious superstitions that surround the "imparting of the mantra."  My
suggestion would be only the first step in actually secularizing the teaching.
But the movement would  never consider even this one step.

They want it both ways, all the religious magic of the puja as well as the
front of a secular practice.  And thy have gotten away with this slippery move
for the most part pretty well.  Right up till they try to put it in schools.
Here, the shell game becomes transparent, and their lack of sincerity in
offering a truly secular meditation to schools becomes obvious.