> I'll
> just say what I say and allow those I say it
> about to react the way that *they* see fit. I
> feel no obligation to "back up" any of my opin-
> ions (because that is, in fact, what they are),

I am perhaps hopelessly naive, but I had assumed that posts are primarily about
sharing and working out ideas -- and passing on and discussing news. A forum is
not a blog. Blogs are more for monologues. Forums are generally for discussions.

If one is throwing out ideas and has no inclination to enagage in dialog about
them, then that, to me, says boatloads about what degree of depth a post has.
That is, is it a momentary, mouth bypassing brain gut response -- or is it a
well considered thought, reflecting some depth, and "pre-challenging" of the
ideas by the poster. By the latter I mean -- has the poster critiqued his own
ideas, looked at them from other perspectives -- worked them out a bit before
posting. That doesn't have to be a lengthy process for a post. But to just
throw things out there as "Hey, look at this new thing that just popped up
inside my head! I have no idea if its any good, or has much truth value, but I
do know that its truly art simply because IT is a thought that I had -- so it
must be fantasticaly worthy".

Just because one has a thought says nothing about how insightful, truthful or
valid it is. I may be in the minority, but I confess -- everything that pops
into my head is not necessarily golden. The mind has thoughts -- monkey mind at
times. The intellect, experience, judgement help sift out low value thoughts
from high value ones.

If a poster is content to just throw what ever thought comes onto the forum
without consideration, that's their perogotive. If they are not inclined to,
even then, evaluate it further, discuss it, provide some background as to
claims made (if claims are indeed made) then its a double whammy of
non-consideration.   The idea was not worthy of any evaluation prior to
posting, and not worthy of any evaluation after posting. Whew! What smells in
here?

The non-separation of ideas from self is an interesting concept. If one posts
an idea -- hopefully somewhat considered prior to posting -- and not just mind
vomit -- the idea is not the poster. Well that's my view. Others, it would
seem, may not distinguish the two. So a question about an idea is viewed as a
personal challenge. My view is that the two are quite distinct. However, i can
see the reluctance to address reactions, feedback, questions etc about an idea
or claim made -- if one sees the idea as themselves. The ownership is so deep,
they see no distinction between self and thought.

(btw, This post is not a response directed at the original post, simply some
(considered) ideas that the post has stimulated. I will be happy to discuss the
content of my post with anyone and entertain different perspectives. If its a
weak thought that I have had, better to figure it out now, than to cling to it
for years.)