--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Exactly. So direct experience can be faulty. We may interpret things we see
> as something they are not. But this is A causes some effect on B sometime in
> the future. Its even less credible, in a scientific sense, that A caused B
> than the faith healer. Even a church faith healer has more evidence / signs
> of A causing B "right now" than the DL effect with a 4 month or so delayed
> reaction. Just think of how many variables there are between now and four
> months from now on everybody's lives. 50,000 no 50,000,000 things will
> happen. And you are going to pick one as the SINGLE causal factor because an
> ancient text says so?!
>
> If you are making a case that some ancient texts says that A causes B, and
> thus it must be real -- gosh. That's as credible as Maharishi saying yagyas
> really really work because we have some ancient texts that say they do. And
> Sat Yuga exists. Or people fly. And on and on.  What makes a good
> shamatha/samadhi text any more credible than that?

The "well known" pacification phenomenon able to soothe a crying baby, balance
the doshas, convert angry yahoos to Buddhism, disarm Kim Jong-il, make Mahmoud
Aminajad a friend to Israel and in the last days cause the lion to lay down
with the lamb, these would be newsworthy events indeed. All we have to do is
hook everyone up with the Dali Lama for darshan and let him pump out a lot of
healing shakti. I have experienced "darshan" from such saints but how much
"pacification" it has or had on my life is darn hard to evaluate.  I can't
imagine I could be part of a "scientific" study measuring my "pacification."

Perhaps the amount of good-vibe-saint energy one can "absorb" depends on the
capacity of the vessel to openness or maybe it's just a crap shoot whether or
not a saint's whammy can actually benefit you. I'm just saying, just saying,
"Fill 'er up!" are not the magic words to make "it" happen. When you come
eyeball to eyeball with a saint, no one and nothing else exists. I can only say
that it seems to require an openness and surrender of the heart, a merging of
the Self embodied in the saint and the Self embodied in me. Exactly how one
goes about "doing" this, I have no idea. I just call it grace. I would be more
impressed with Vaj's "scientific" claims, if he could provide a first hand
account of his personal pacification experiences with the Dali Lama.