--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>
wrote:

> I think I'll stick with the traditional, Doug. At least at this point I
> prefer to acknowledge the many lives that WERE sacraficed in securing a
> pretty decent way of life here, even with all its shortcomings.

I'm with you on that Lurker. I don't think using Memorial Day to mock
meditators is particularly useful. IMO it's in poor taste.

I just got back home with my 5 year-old granddaughter from Fairfield's Memorial
Day service on the square which is beautifully festooned with American flags.

Here's someone's jumpy video of what Fairfield's square looked like today:
http://tinyurl.com/r5ldnb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCzSB-c1FY

The 224th Engineer Battalion, National Guard Band performed on the square for
about an hour, then we followed them as they drummed and marched to the court
house. There was a slight drizzle of rain as the band played taps and a lady
from the VFW Ladies Auxiliary laid a wreath on the marble memorial that honors
the branches of service.

My father, and three uncles served in WWII. I always get a lump in my throat
when hear taps.

Fairfield's Memorial to soldiers:

http://tinyurl.com/qll9cb
http://www.cec-waterjet.com/Articles/Fairfield-Ledger-1992-06-05.html