--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> [...]

None of my IP lookup tools return any results with Austria on Nabby's IP, so I
guessed that you probably used a website to look it up. I did a Google search
on your exact words 'reverse IP lookup' and the first result is
http://remote.12dt.com/. I ran Nabby's IP through it, and sure enough, it
returned:

80.111.68.171 resolves to
"cm-80.111.68.171.chello.no"
Top Level Domain: "chello.no"
Country IP Address: AUSTRIA

If you research Chello, you'll discover it is a very large broadband provider,
operating in many different countries, including Austria. However, my hunch is
that it's highly unlikely that Chello gives Norwegian IP addresses to its users
in Austria. But, why does that site say it's in Austria? Well, a WHOIS lookup
on Nabby's IP directs me to RIPE.NET's WHOIS server:

http://www.ripe.net/whois

Plug in Nabby's IP, and the answer is clear:

http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?form_type=simple&full_query_string=&searchtext=80.111.68.171&do_search=Search

inetnum:         80.108.0.0 - 80.111.255.255
org:             ORG-CBG1-RIPE
netname:         AT-TELEKABEL-20010719
descr:           Chello Broadband GmbH
descr:           Provider Local Registry
country:         AT
admin-c:         HMCB1-RIPE
tech-c:          HMCB1-RIPE
status:          ALLOCATED PA "status:" definitions
mnt-by:          RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower:       CHELLO-MNT
mnt-lower:       PRIO-MNT
mnt-routes:      AS6830-MNT
source:          RIPE # Filtered

organisation:    ORG-CBG1-RIPE
org-name:        Chello Broadband GmbH
org-type:        LIR
address:         UPC Austria GmbH
                Erlachgasse 116
                1100 Vienna
                Austria
phone:           +43 1 96068 5000
fax-no:          +43 1 96068 5666
e-mail:          hostmaster [...@] chello.at

The RIPE database lists the company as being based in Austria. And, notice that
the email contact has a chello.at email address. The country code for Austria
is .at, and I betcha that Chello's Austrian users receive Austrian IP address.
I'm willing to bet that if Chello gave Nabby a .no IP address, it means he's
actually in Norway.