On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "It's just a ride"
> <bill.hicks.all.a.r...@...> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM, do.rflex <do.rf...@...> wrote:
> >

> Really?  I don't know any health insurance companies that cover lost wages.
>  What company was it?

UHC.   My friend had signed up for disability insurance with UHC through his
Fortune 5 company.

> I would describe the relationship between docs and insurers as almost
> adversarial, hardly in cahoots.

Most of the people I know have UHC.  UHC is very heavily into diagnostics.
Whereas most insurance companies will pay for one of a certain test a year,
UHC will pay for as many as the doctor wants to order.  Want a second,
third, fourth opinion at say Mayo, Hopkins, Menninger?  UHC will pay.

I would hardly consider it adversarial where the doctor just happened to be
on call (and officed in the hospital complex) and made all the arrangements
with the insurance company for pre-authorized coverage before visiting my
friend with the option of having my friend surrender his drivers license to
the officer outside or sign the paperwork for a week worth of wasting a bed,
a bunch of nurses and 3 shifts of EEG technicians shared with one other
patient (who's insurance wasn't as good so she didn't get an executive suite
with a DVD player or Wii in it).

The doctors and their staffs in my area have learned how to play the
insurance companies.  They know just the words needed to get those
pre-authorizations out of the major insurance companies in my area.  It
appears Obama's gotten to the likes of UHC.  People get calls at the
hospital or home while recuperating from UHC asking if there's anything more
UHC could do to help.  I know of one case where the patient was having a
problem adjusting to her illness.  UHC offered to locate a counselor for
her, as her company provided counseling as a benefit administered by UHC.
I'd suspect that if you've got UHC through a Fortune 50 million company
YMMV.

> We aren't going to get a single payer plan this time around.  There aren't
> the votes.  At best, if we have enough legislators with balls, we will have
> a federal option plan to go along with the private plans.  Too soon to tell.

I see nothing but disaster.  We need Evidence Based Medicine.  My friend's
trip to the ER, let alone his one week work up violated EBM all 4 miles
round trip of the way.  Then in another part of town there are all these
people who use the ER out of necessity as though it were a local nurse
practicioner.  My town only has a few nurse practioners and they provide
anesthesia survices at the high dollar day surgery clinics in town.

If we were to get EBM, nurse practicioners performing triage and giving care
as needed, we'd save a bundle in the aggregate.  It's estimated that every
trip to the ER in any part of town here starts at $2,000.  Cut out a bunch
of unnecessary $2,000 visits, cut out my friend's $38,000 boondoggle and
after a while you're talking some real money saved.  Saved by the taxpayers,
saved by the insurance companies, saved by employers and their employed.

Instituting electronic medical records interchange isn't going to save any
money.  My friend told his story to EMS technicians, a triage nurse, a bunch
of ER nurses, a bunch of different ER doctors, the neurologist and then to
nurses, EEG techs, a pharmacist and some doctors when he got upstairs.  It
turns out that though the hospital has one of the finest records systems in
the country and everyone is walking around with PDAs or PC tablets, the
records are organized so poorly that staff would rather blow the time to ask
the patient for a history, meds, etc. rather than consult the MRS.

The one good thing I see that might save a little money is the
doctor/hospital/lab proposal to insurance companies and the governments to
be able to submit a single bill.  Right now a single week stay in the
hospital will generate a hundred or more different bills which have to be
settled by the insurance company, the governments, those billing and the
patient.

Another good thing which might come out is if the insurance
companies/governments start refusing to pay for 2nd and 3rd admissions to
hospitals because the hospital didn't get the care right the first time.

This is all a far cry from universal $300 per person per month insurance
premiums.  $300 a month per person would easily cover everyone's medical
needs if EBM were truly put in practice.  At $300 per person companies,
individuals and governments could pay for everyone in the US out of petty
cash.