"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand
to have the old man around.  But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished
at how much he had learned in seven years."  ~Mark Twain (1874)

"The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a
stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground,
snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter puts her arm
over his shoulder and says, 'Daddy, I need to ask you something,' he is a pat
of butter in a hot frying pan." ~Garrison Keillor

"The most important thing that a father can do for his children is to love
their mother." ~Theodore M. Hesburgh