--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> Politico had an article yesterday reporting on the
> terrific job Hillary has been doing as Secretary of
> State, "Hillary Clinton toils in the shadows."

And Politico was not exactly a hotbed of Hillary
fandom during the campaign, to say the least.

I'm going to quote from the beginning of the piece,
because it so thoroughly blows Barry's ugly, arrogant,
*incredibly* ignorant rants about Hillary right back
up his ass whence they came.

Clinton toils in the shadows
By: Ben Smith
June 23, 2009 04:49 AM EST

Back last fall, when Barack Obama sprang his
surprise about naming former rival Hillary
Clinton as his secretary of state, many people
assumed she would be the Cabinet's brightest
star — a celebrity at large on the world stage,
the face of American foreign policy while the
president was consumed back home by domestic
issues and a troubled economy.

Few commentators predicted the reality: an era
of grindstone leadership at the State
Department.

But that's exactly what Clinton has fashioned
at Foggy Bottom. She has become a disciplined
loyalist who jostles for White House influence
just like any Cabinet secretary and who has
advanced her cause by striking some key
internal alliances.

Most surprisingly, she has about as low a news
-making profile as is possible for someone who
is arguably the most famous woman on the
planet. When she slipped and broke her elbow
last week, it was the most press coverage she
had gotten in months. A Nexis database search
showed she had fewer mentions last month than
any time since she launched her presidential
bid in January 2007.

It is an arrangement that, by all appearances,
seems to suit Clinton and the Obama White House
just fine, even as it has contributed to
increasing chatter in foreign policy circles
about her clout.

By some lights, no one should be surprised by
the former presidential candidate's latest
reinvention. It is an encore performance — a
revival of the same strategy Clinton used when
arriving to a chamber of skeptical colleagues
after being elected to the Senate in 2000. Then
she brushed aside national publicity and
immersed herself on such issues as regional
dairy compacts while waiting years for the
right moment to re-emerge....

In the reporting for this article, an array of
senior officials got on the line — including
many who do not ordinarily give interviews or
do so on background rules — for on-the-record
singing of her praises.

"Her star power has been an enormously
effective tool for us," Tom Donilon, the deputy
national security adviser with a central role
in running foreign policy day to day, told
POLITICO, describing the attention she commands
abroad and her access to foreign leaders.

"She's a pretty tough customer in private
negotiations, as you would imagine, and expects
partners to behave like partners and expects
people to do what they say they're going to
do."

Donilon and other top officials emphasized how
well she has fit in among the "alpha males" —
as she put it to one of them, Afghanistan and
Pakistan envoy Richard Holbrooke — who compose
the rest of the foreign policy team....

Clinton's strategy for navigating Obama's
councils of power is a reflection of
temperament. Hillary Clinton the celebrity has
always been balanced by — and, in the end,
usually subordinate to — Clinton the grind, the
woman with the self-described "responsibility
gene." Bill Clinton was the politician as jazz
improvisationalist; she was the linear thinker
who believed that self-discipline and applied
intelligence is the answer to most
challenges....

Read more:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/24067.html