Why must we return to a physical body?

Certain karmas can be resolved only in the physical world. This is due to the
fact that on the refined inner planes only three or four of the higher chakras
are activated; the others are dormant. For nirvikalpa samadhi, all seven
chakras, as well as the three major energy currents, have to be functioning to
sustain enough kundalini force to burst through to the Self.

At the right time, the soul is reborn into a flesh body that will best fulfill
its karmic pattern. In this process, the current astral body--which is a
duplicate of the last physical form--is sloughed off as a lifeless shell that
in due course disintegrates, and a new astral body develops as the new physical
body grows.

This entering into another body is called reincarnation, "re-occupying the
flesh." Generally, the soul, at the time of conception, chooses the body he
will inhabit but does not actually enter the womb until the infant body takes
life and begins to move and kick.

During our numerous Earth lives, a remarkable variety of life patterns is
experienced. We exist as male and female, often switching back and forth from
life to life as the nature becomes more harmonized into a person exhibiting
both feminine nurturing and masculine intrepidness.

Therefore, the Hindu knows that the belief in a single life on Earth, followed
by eternal joy or pain is utterly wrong and causes great anxiety, confusion and
fear. Hindus know that all souls reincarnate, take one body and then another,
evolving through experience over long periods of time.

Like the caterpillar's metamorphosis into the butterfly, death doesn't end our
existence but frees us to pursue an even greater development. Reincarnation
ceases when dharma has been well performed, earthly karma is resolved, God is
fully realized and moksha, liberation, is attained.

~~ Excerpt from 'Life After Death'
pdf: http://snipurl.com/kt0c1  [www_hinduismtoday_com]