Nancy Spillane, founder and head of Lowell Whiteman Primary School, has devoted
her professional life to “inspiring in each child a passion for learning.” In
2007 she introduced the Quiet Time program with the Transcendental Meditation
technique in her school.
Why did you choose the Quiet Time program?
Nancy: Since 9/11 I had been looking for ways to decrease stress at Lowell
Whiteman. When I first saw the NBC program about kids meditating at an Iowa
school, I thought if I didn’t look into this I might be doing a disservice to
our children. I was intrigued because the program featured kids doing well with
National Merit Scholarships, sports, and academics. The meditating children
excelled on their ACT and SAT scores.
I was happy to learn that the main benefit of TM was stress reduction. With the
pressure that kids put on themselves and what the parents put on them, there’s
too much overload on the students’ nervous systems. If you watch the
communications between kids these days, the rapid-fire cell phones and text
messages, they are moving so fast that just to take a 10- minute rest twice a
day is good for them.
After two years of practicing the TM program, what results do you see?
Nancy: I am hearing great results from the parents and teachers. I recently met
with parents of next year’s eighth graders. Every single parent said, “Please
keep the Quiet Time program going in the school. Don’t ever get rid of it. As a
parent I beg you to keep it in the school.” Not one parent said, “Why are you
wasting your time?”
Parents are seeing less squabbling among siblings, and their children are more
communicative. Grades have improved and kids are more focused in the classroom.
Parents of adolescent girls see them riding that wave with more grace. As far
as the school environment goes, there are fewer discipline issues.
The teachers are finding that the kids have a greater level of concentration
and a higher level of attention. The teachers’ ability to instruct and the
children’s ability to learn have both benefited.
How has meditation helped you personally?
Nancy: The calmness I gain from meditating helps me in so many situations. When
I attend headmaster meetings in Colorado, people ask, “What are your tactics?”
I tell them that I meditate. It’s such a wonderful tool. When I know I’m going
to have a meeting with an upset parent, I try to meditate first. I’m not
defensive. My calmness also calms the parent. That’s the best tool in my belt.
The beauty of it is that I used to use a lot of energy, but now it takes no
energy to remain calm. I’m able to focus entirely on the parent’s message. I
can be a true giver, giving 100% of myself. Both of us are winners in those
meetings.

Support the
Quiet Time program
at Lowell Whiteman
Primary School
The David Lynch Foundation is seeking sponsors to fund the TM-Quiet Time
program at Lowell Whiteman Primary School for 2009-10 Only $25,000 a year
covers all student and faculty instructions, follow-up, and administration of
the program. You can help sponsor this school program, which has brought about
such profound positive changes in students’ lives. Help ensure that it
continues.

What is your vision for the future?
Nancy: We hope that when people visit us, they will want the same results for
their school. When visitors come they ask, “How do you do this?” We want to be
that shining light in Northwest Colorado, an example of a harmonious school,
with everyone working together as a team, and with students who are more
peaceful, more focused, and happier.

Lowell Whiteman students speak on
the Transcendental Meditation program
“I noticed that I have greater control over myself. Meditation has improved my
social skills and I am glad of that.” —Seventh grade student
“I was surprised at how easy it is. And when I play hockey or other sports I am
more focused. Right now I am playing lacrosse and tennis, and I know I have
improved in both a lot!” —Seventh grade student
“I like that TM is easy and relaxing. Thanks for teaching us!” —Fifth grade
student
“I like Transcendental Meditation because it soothes me. I thought when it
first started it was dumb, but now I think it’s cool.” —Fifth grade student
“When I am on a roll, doing TM twice a day, I feel both tranquil and energized.
The day seems to have more hours for getting projects done and for visiting
friends and family. I realize the many ways it enhances my being and doing.”
—Pam Morgan, Spanish teacher
Check out DLF.TV!
After three successful years of implementing the TM technique in schools, the
David Lynch Foundation introduced DLF.TV, a new online TV channel that
celebrates consciousness, creativity and bliss. DLF.TV is showcasing high
quality video content from David Lynch Foundation events, compelling profiles
and documentaries, exclusive contributions David Lynch, and a wide range of
creative work. visit DLF.TV
David Lynch Foundation collaborates with Healthcorps.org
Healthcorps is a proactive health movement founded by Mehmet Oz, M.D., a
renowned cardiac surgeon, bestselling author and health expert on the Oprah
Winfrey Show. Healthcorps was formed to help stem the crisis of child obesity
through school-based health education and mentoring, as well as through
community events and outreach to underserved populations. The David Lynch
Foundation will now be working with Healthcorps to help improve the health of
at-risk school children nationwide.
To learn more about the Transcendental Meditation program
Call 1-800-Learn TM or visit www.tm.org

This message was sent from The David Lynch Foundation to vedamer...@yahoo.de.
It was sent from: David Lynch Foundation TV, 1000 N. 4th Street, Fairfield, IA
52557. You can modify/update your subscription via the link below.

Email Marketing by

 To be removed click here