One of the reasons I like Digg is that it's a treasure-trove
of graphics that can be used to help convey an idea. Like
this one (http://imgur.com/SHmvT.jpg <http://imgur.com/SHmvT.jpg>  ):

  [http://imgur.com/SHmvT.jpg]

Isn't that refreshing? A billboard -- whose very *purpose* is
to try to sell you something -- being used instead to celebrate
the joy of not being sold anything.

I feel that same joy when reading the posts of a few people
here on Fairfield Life, the folks I think of as "anti-proselytutes."
These people *have* in most cases strong beliefs -- political,
spiritual, and moral. But they never try to SELL them. The
most that they do is state what they believe in and move on.
If other posters "challenge" them on their beliefs, or demand
that they "debate" them about these beliefs, these folks rarely
bother to even respond. What this tells me is that their beliefs
are actually *strong* -- strong enough to stand on their own
without any need for "defending" or "debating," and with even
less need to try to SELL those beliefs to others. These (IMO)
balanced individuals don't *need* anyone else to believe what
they believe in order to believe it themselves. It clearly doesn't
*matter* to them what anyone else believes.

Compare and contrast to the professional proselytutes.

You all know who I'm talking about...no need to "name names."
The proselytutes are the people on this forum or the people
they quote from the media who seem to feel a never-ending
need *to* proselytize or SELL the things they believe in --
political, spiritual, or moral -- to others. Whether it be a
political stance or cause or an ideological stance or cause or
a spiritual stance or cause, these folks are constantly
SELLING what they consider the "right" stance or cause.
It *matters very much* to them what others believe; they are
so persistent sometimes *in* their sales pitches that one is
tempted to suspect that they actually receive a *commission*
for converting someone to their stance or cause or belief
system. Their vibe often feels like that great "coming out"
episode on "Ellen" where lesbians were trying to win  a free
toaster by converting a straight woman to lesbianism.  :-)

Anyway...I'm just passing along a Handy Tip, one that I have
found useful when trying to step lightly through the minefield
of People Trying To Sell Me Something in the advertising media
or in the news media or here on Fairfield Life:

Visualize the person trying to sell
you something as a hooker.

  [http://www.lwcbooks.com/books/images/Hooker-018.jpg]

It's a simple mental trick, but I'm tellin' ya it works like a
charm.

*Listen* to the fevered sales pitches made by advertisers
or political pundits -- or worst, spiritual True Believers --
who are trying to SELL you their wares, but in the back
of your mind picture them as "proselytutes."

Just like prostitutes, there is a REASON they are standing
there on that street corner (or, metaphorically, standing on
their soapbox preaching at you and trying to "convert" you).
They GET something from selling their wares. The pros-
titutes get money; the prosyletutes get to shore up their
shaky beliefs systems by believing that they have
"converted" someone else to believe in it, too.

The visualize-the-person-selling-you-something as a street
hooker or prosyletute helps in another way, too. By visual-
izing them that way, you get to "step back" mentally and
see whether what they are selling is *worth buying*. If the
proselytute is trying to sell you a technique that promises
relief from stress and anger, does that person react *well*
to someone not buying it, or do they lash out at you angrily
like a street hooker blown off by someone she was trying
to...uh...blow? If the proselytute is trying to sell you on a
ideological or political stance that claims equal respect for
the sexes, does that person actually *act* in a way that is
equally respectful to both sexes, or not?

So that's Turq's Tip Of The Day. Whenever you find yourself
being SOLD something on this forum or on the News or in
advertising itself, just visualize the person doing the selling
as a hooker as they're speaking. *Listen* to what they are
saying, look over the merchandise being sold, and weigh the
potential benefits of buying (or buying into) whatever they
are trying to sell you. But then weigh that against the possi-
bility of catching some loathsome disease from the seller.