"In the aftermath of her decision to drop out and cash in,
Palin's standing in the G.O.P. actually rose in the
USA Today/Gallup poll. No less than 71 percent of Republicans
said they would vote for her for president."

NOTE: Only 23% of Americans identify themselves as Republican Republican
http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynumber/?NumberID=785

It's more likely that she will never get anywhere near the White House, and not
just because of her own limitations. The Palinist "real America" is
demographically doomed to keep shrinking.

But the emotion it represents is disproportionately powerful for its numbers.
It's an anger that Palin enjoyed stoking during her "palling around with
terrorists" crusade against Obama on the campaign trail. It's an anger that's
curdled into self-martyrdom since Inauguration Day.

Its voice can be found in the postings at a Web site maintained by the fans of
Mark Levin, the Obama hater who is, at this writing, the No.2 best-selling
hardcover nonfiction writer in America. (Glenn Beck is No.1 in paperback
nonfiction.)

Politico surveyed them last week. "Bottomline, do you know of any way we can
remove these idiots before this country goes down the crapper?" wrote one Levin
fan. "I WILL HELP!!! Should I buy a gun?"

Another called for a new American revolution, promising "there will be blood."

These are the cries of a constituency that feels disenfranchised — by the
powerful and the well-educated who gamed the housing bubble, by a news media it
keeps being told is hateful, by the immigrants who have taken some of their
jobs, by the African-American who has ended a white monopoly on the White
House.

Palin is their born avatar. She puts a happy, sexy face on ugly emotions, and
she can solidify her followers' hold on a G.O.P. that has no leaders with the
guts or alternative vision to stand up to them or to her.

Full article: She Broke the G.O.P. and Now She Owns It - by Frank Rich
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/opinion/12rich.html?_r=2