--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:46 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > Worse as far as I can tell is botox. If you happen
> > to like either Mark Knopfler or Emmylou Harris, by
> > all means check out the DVD they made of "Live
> > Roadrunning." It's marvelous, but the shocker is
> > to see Emmylou talking in the interview sections
> > of the DVD. She's always been a lovely woman, and
> > her prematurely gray hair only made her look more
> > attractive in my opinion, but she has *obviously*
> > gone the botox route, so much so that it looks as
> > if she is wearing a mask. Her face doesn't even
> > MOVE when she speaks. It's icky and off-putting.
>
> I agree. I have a number of friends who use it,
> and it's pretty obvious up close, esp. if you're
> used to the persons previous range of facial
> expressions. Yet other friends have had skin
> peels of faces lifts. They never look quite
> the same. The good news is the first
> replacement epidermis material, Epicel, is
> now available, although at this time just for
> burn victims. Expect fairly soon to be able to
> replace your skin. Carticel is also approved
> and is in use for  replacing your knee cartilage
> with cells cultured again from your
> own. In some cases it can completely restore
> original function. With Obama removing the Bush
> restrictions on stem cell lines, it's very
> likely such innovations will only accelerate.

In "A Brief History of Time," Stephen Hawking
cops to being a fan of Star Trek. He observes
that, despite all the gee-whiz technology
displayed by the series, the Star Trek characters
resemble people of today - to which Hawking says,
"I doubt it." He points out, quite in line with
the observations above, that people will engineer
themselves to look very different in the next few
hundred years. Add to this prospect the likelihood
of robotic sex partners, and it's enough to fuel
all manner of science fiction plots.