--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes...@...> wrote:

> Couple lose despite backing every greyhound

Gamblers are a different breed Hugo. Never underestimate
their foolishness. "Its a sure thing! Can't lose."
As an adolescent I worked at a thoroughbred racetrack
with parimutuel wagering. I witnessed things that I would
*never* believe had I been told them second hand. Some
serious manic/depressive behavior. I wouldn't be shocked
to learn off_world had spent some time at the track. :-)

I hope greyhounds in the UK have a better fate, when
they retire, than in the USA. Conditions while in whelp,
schooling, and racing are much better than commonly
believed. However, as soon as a productive racing career
ends, unless an adopted home awaits, a blue syringe of
euthanising injection is delivered to eliminate an economic
liability of the kennel. The numbers being euthanized in
the states is outrageous but steadily being reduced due
to a racing industry, in competition for gambling dollars.
dying nationally. The track in my area has adopted out
around 500 dogs a year for better than 15 years. Many
more are destroyed.

I have adopted 5 over the years. All straight from the track.

Boy Howdy
Phoenix On Fire
LaBella Drama
Magic Victor
Curious Gent

Great dogs. Wonderful pets. Docile. Relaxed. Loving. Lazy
as lazy can be. Hounds. That surprises a lot of people.
They are sprinters not marathoners. 30 seconds of world
class sprinting then complete couch potatoes. I would put
them at about a middling on a canine intelligence scale.
They are empathetic creatures to an uncanny degree .