OK, I said I wouldn't deal with Barry's questions
until he's dealt with mine, but I've changed my mind,
because this is just too much fun to hold off on.

<snip>
> The quote I posted from the Checking Notes: "It is
> an important principle to note, that at any time
> that the mind is capable of thinking any thought
> it is capable of thinking the mantra," was, as I
> remember it, in the context of whether one could
> think the mantra while experiencing pain during
> meditation.

No, you've gotten the context thoroughly confused.

The context of the quote is when a thought is so
overpowering that one can't pick up the mantra
without straining. In that situation the
instruction is to not to try to think the mantra,
but rather to let the attention be drawn to
sensation in the body and rest there until the
sensation diminishes *and thoughts start to come
again*.

The idea is that one doesn't just sit there
"feeling the body" once one has begun to have
thoughts again, because "at any time that the
mind is capable of thinking any thought, it is
capable of thinking the mantra."

Remember now?

The instruction for when one is feeling pain--
a separate point--is that if the pain begins to
*dominate*, so that one cannot think the mantra
without strain, one is to *stop thinking the
mantra* and just sit and do nothing until the
pain diminishes and no longer dominates.

In other words, you have it exactly backwards.

In both cases the instruction is *not to strain*
to think the mantra when there is some powerful
distraction, either an overpowering thought or
significant pain.

The rest of your post collapses into utter
nonsense in light of the actual instructions
in the checking notes.

And as I noted to start with, the quote has
nothing to do with being lost in thought.

 The answer to be given during checking