The south of France at this time of year is awash with
seekers of one sort or another, especially in the area
I'm in. You've gotcher Cathar seekers, you've gotcher
Rennes-le-Chateau Mysterious Pot 'O Money seekers, and
you've gotcher Jeezus And Mary Magdalene's Holy Bloodline
seekers. There are more New Age crazies per square meter
than in Santa Fe, and that's saying something.  :-)

However, watching these folks roaming around ruins with
glassy eyes hoping for revelation, or pouring over the
books being hawked to seeker-tourists such as themselves
in the bookstalls, or overhearing them talking about
their discoveries in the cafes, there is a trend that
seems to be showing up.

The French and Spanish seeker-tourists and those from
mainland Europe seem to be seeking personal experience
or knowledge, with very few preconceptions or expect-
ations. Their main "driving force" seems to be curiosity.
But the British and the American seeker seem to be
questing after "authority," often in the form of some
guru or teacher or scholar who tells them "the truth."

I find this interesting because I see the same phenom-
enon in some of the seekers on FFL. It's like they've
taken the normal, everyday "cult of personality" that
drives their media and extended it to their spirituality.
They want...nay, NEED...a "talking head," a human being
who is the personification of the spiritual knowledge
they seek, and preferably one who is 1) charismatic
and 2) will tell them what to do.

The Europeans are looking only for the knowledge. They
graciously allow the British and the Americans to look
for some guru or teacher to tell them what to do, and
then snicker behind their backs.

Last night in Mirepoix there were two "New Agey" talks
advertised on posters around the town. The first was
classic "guruspeak," some fellow whose photo was all
over the posters trying to attract followers to his
cult by giving a supposed talk about the "real" truth
of Rennes-le-Chateau. Another talk in the same town
was more of a slide show given by someone who was an
actual expert on the area. There was no photo of the
speaker on its posters, and no promise of enlightenment.
Both talks were to be given in English (not unusual at
this time of the tourist year, English being the new
lingua franca and all).

Out of curiosity I walked by the first talk as people
were starting to arrive for it. As expected, they were
ALL British and American...not a French or Spanish or
German or Dutch person in the crowd. They hung around
waiting for the talk to start and chatting about all
the gurus and teachers they had met, and playing "guru
oneupsmanship" with each other, on the level of, "Yes,
I experience darshan from ____, but it was *nothing*
compared to the darshan I experienced from _______."

I moved along to the other talk, and that crowd was
almost entirely Euro. There were no glassy-eyed New Agers,
and no pre-lecture "My guru's dick is longer than your
guru's dick" talk among the attendees. It was just a
bunch of people hoping to learn a little something and
then go away and assimilate it into their own lives
themselves, choosing what to believe and what not to
believe *by* themselves. No one at the second talk was
looking for a "guru" or "authority" or anyone to tell
them how to think or what to think or what to do with
their lives.

It should be obvious which talk I attended. :-) Many
regulars on Fairfield Life would have gone for the "guru"
talk, hoping to find an "authority figure" or snag a little
free darshan. Me, I was just curious to see whether the
guy giving the talk had uncovered a few facts in his
research that I hadn't in mine. And he had; I came away
happy to have learned a little something.

At the cafe afterwards, a few of the people from the talk
I went to ran into a few of the people who went to the other
talk. Over coffee, it became obvious that the nearby chateau
of Puivert had been mentioned in both talks, and someone
brought up a question about it. One of the people who had
attended the "guru talk" said, "We'll ask __________ that
question when we see him next...he'll tell us." One of the
women from the talk I glanced through one of the free bro-
chures that had been given away at our talk, looked the
answer up herself, and read it aloud to the folks in the
cafe.

I cracked up. It was a perfect commentary on the trends I
had been noticing. One group went to see a "guru" so that he
would tell them "the truth," and all they learned was that
the next time they wanted to know something, they had to
run to him and ask for "the truth" again. The other group
learned how to figure out answers for themselves.