> I'm fascinated enough with this subject to make
> it its own thread, to see if others here are
> equally fascinated.

Yes. I basically agree with most of what you say. This has been and
continues to be my experience.

> My approach to the subject of "conditioning" has a
> lot to do with my time with Rama.  Whatever else he
> might have been, he was a master at channeling and
> "broadcasting" light (or whatever it was) so strongly
> that it just blew away *all* of your conditioning.

Definitly my experience as well.

<snip>

> The bottom line for me, when I encounter a new spiritual
> trip, is to try to suss out how strongly this group
> believes it knows the "truth."

When I moved to Mother Meera, I realized that everybody in the house
had different beliefs. Many were Krishnamurti types or Ramana types,
some were Bhakti. Many had a TM background but were moving away from
TM beliefs in varying degrees. Simply said, there was no uniformity or
consensus of beliefs as it used to be in TM. MM herself said that
people should read different books to get a variety of views. She also
refuses to built up groups or ashrams. There are no lectures. When you
meet her, there is no introductory lecture or anything, no singing.
You either get the experience in silence or you don't get it.

After having seen this, I don't want to be part of any group thing
anymore. Groups develop there own kind of consciousness, based on
group agreement. I also believe that Maharishi dissolves groups
because of this wrong group conformity, like in England. I had a
friend who always visited Mother Meera, and who lived in Skelmersdale.
He was banned from group-program, but he didn't move away from there
for years. I always asked him why he still stays there, if they don't
want him. Finally he moved away, one year ago, and he said it was like
a real liberation. One year later the whole thing is dissolved by MMY.
OTOH in Lelystad in Holland, people were allowed to see MM. They are
still doing well!

I heard that their ex-National Leader asked MMY about a different
spiritual group, and Maharishi endorsed him to join! That shows that
Maharishi is much more open-minded than his followers! About 50 of the
Lelistadt people are now instructors of this other group, giving
'diksha', so Maharishi himself gave a boost to that movement, and, as
I was told by my dutch friend yesterday, the same is true for italy
and other European countries.