On Aug 18, 2009, at 10:45 AM, WillyTex wrote:

Vaj wrote:
> Yogis or those trained as lamas actually often
> sleep sitting up--or as an old teacher of mine,
> a cave-yogi--in lotus. They never lay down.

Yeah, that would go over like a lead balloon with
you wife, Vaj, sitting up 24-7 in a cave. Get real.

I actually sleep in a thing called a bedroom.

Those who sleep sitting up will often do so on the floor of their bedroom or their shrine, etc. A cave is not a requirement Willy, nor is sitting up for that matter.

> So the emphasis is less on necessarily trying
> to extend your basic meditation practice, but
> to integrate it in to all areas of life and
> to deepen transcendence to the point of not
> being limited by time.

So, you'd practice TM.

No, I wouldn't.

> The example I often recently have given is in
> the Shamatha Project, where over just a couple
> months, the meditators were doing 7 to 12
> hour sessions...and emerging rejuvenated.

So, enlightenment in 7-12 hours, or a couple
of months, or 5-7 years. Where have I heard some
promises like that?

This isn't a promise, it's just a fact these guys and gals were transcending for a long time. Of course they had techniques for between sessions and sleep as well.

> As it turns out, the longer and deeper you go,
> the more profound the relaxation and the more
> profound the biological changes.

Sounds like TM to me.

TM only gives a basic relaxation response, as it's called Willy. And that's what you get in shallow diving. Deep dives take longer and require deeper relaxation to sustain them, so that's the difference.

But Ruth, a retired MD, says
there's no observable sociological changes. Now
wouldn't that be something: a mental technique
that could cause physical change at will. But not
a single observable psychological or social change
whatsoever.

That is true with TM, but I'm sure with better study design, they would uncover numerous qualities now well-established as concomitants of the "relaxation response".