Obama says the public option is the best plan for health care reform but he's
not going to demand it. WTF? If he won't fight for the public option, what will
he fight for? Obama needs to get a backbone and some starch for his empty suit.
Raunchydog

Sunday, October 18, 2009
Top Obama advisers walk away from public option
by Joe Sudbay (DC) on 10/18/2009 02:34:00 PM

There was a reason the White House sent out Obama's top three advisers to the
talk shows today. As I said below, "they're selling something as we approach
the final push for health insurance reform." Unfortunately, what they're
selling, most of us aren't buying. Today, the White House message is: "We're
getting soft on the public option." So, it's clear the Rahm wing (and not
Jarrett and Axelrod)) is controlling the message and the strategy. That's not
good:

    Senior adviser Valerie Jarrett said Obama believes the public plan is still
the ''best possible choice,'' but she said he's not demanding it. David
Axelrod, Obama's top adviser, said Senate opposition in both parties means ''we
have to work through these issues.''

    White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, who is deeply involved with
congressional Democrats in trying to merge the various committee proposals,
also appeared to set aside the public option.

    ''It's not the defining piece of health care. It's whether we achieve both
cost control, coverage, as well as the choice,'' Emanuel said.

I just don't think these folks get how, hmmm, how can I put this, how
nonsensical it sounds to say, Obama really thinks the public option is "the
best possible choice," but he won't fight for it. Maybe they think that
messaging works. It doesn't. Sounds weak. If he's not going to fight for the
"best possible choice," what will he fight for? That's the question I have.

Obama would be wise to listen to Jarrett and Axelrod on this one. They've been
with him longer.

http://www.americablog.com/2009/10/top-obama-advisers-walk-away-from.html