--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ShempMcGurk" <shempmcg...@...> wrote:

> You used the word "ideally" below several times in answering questions.
>
> I'm wondering whether "ideally" reflects your own feeling on what is ideal
> (perhaps with a touch of the western idea of meritocracy thrown in that is
> influencing the use of that word) or whether that is, in fact, what the vedas
> say.

I used the word "ideal" to differentiate the varna system in actual practice in
India.  As practiced today, the varna system is a devolution of the intent of
the vedas.

You are right that I am inserting my own interpretation of meritocracy as
thought of in the western culture.  I believe that the vedas had the same
intent.